Recommends Please: for accurate Az/El rotator for Satellite/Moon

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by G6SGA, Jun 2, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
  1. G6SGA

G6SGA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Morning all,
    I have a 10 meter Mast and HAD a G5500 rotator. This is quite dead - bearings shot and I have attempted repairs to no avail. Time is not on my side. So now looking for a new setup and wondered if I could get some recommendations. The Mast/Rotor will support up to 4 VHF/UHF antenna for Satelite & possibly Moon Bounce operation.

My HF is a G5RV Junior at about 20ft above ground and 20 ft from the shack - not ideal but I can get 40m without blowing stuff up in the shack. :)

The Location I am at is on occasion very windy upwards of 30Knots.

What else can I say, Info do you need to make a recommendation for new Rotator/s.

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  2. EA1DDO

EA1DDO Ham Member QRZ Page

I would say a Prosistel azimuth rotator, and an actuator for elevation.
    Think that most EME stations use to install additional Az/El sensors for further accuracy.

Then, you will need a control box. You can use the Arduino-based "K3NG Control box". It has automatic Moon and Sun tracking, and a large number of rotators and sensors compatibility.
    This box works alone, no computer needed.

[​IMG]

73, Maximo

3. G6SGA

Hi Maximo, thanks. I am aware of the K3NG, in fact, I built a controller unit a few years ago for the 5500. It still lights up so will resurrect it for any new setup.

I'll look at the Prosistel and Actuator.

73's G
    Stephen G6SGA

4. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Rotators:

Alfaspid - B+. Some shortcuts in design and manufacture due to trying to use off the shelf parts. Requires maintenance every 5 years or so depending on local condition. Maintenance can be a minor PITA. Otherwise everything is solid.
    Prosistel - A. High quality but sideways motor mounting can interfere with crank up towers. Should be maintenance free for decades. Haven't used altitude motor though.

Controller:

Green Heron. High quality and high versatility. Only downside is if changing brands or designs of rotators the reconfiguration can be a little tricky.

5. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Regarding an actuator for elevation - I would steer away unless one is at a far north or south latitude or only want to work when the moon is near the horizon. You won't get the range of motion you need.

The advantage that I see for one is that it can save you money. The downside is that each time you need to manually point the antenna, lock it to the radial arm, then start the actuator running. For accurate tracking you may only get an hour or so each time. Also your controller may need to compensate for the non-linear radial motion (i.e. the number of degrees the antenna rotates for each inch/cm of actuator travel is always changing.) If you have the money you will be happier with a worm-wheel based altitude rotator.

6. G6SGA