Recommended automatic antenna tuner?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by AK7SA, Oct 6, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. AK7SA

AK7SA Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm looking for an automatic antenna tuner I have a yeasu FT-450D and would like a tuner that can handle a wide variety of antennas. This is my first HF rig and I don't want to be fussing around with manually adjusting the tuner. Something that integrates with my Yeasu would be preferred but not required. Something small or that I can put out of the way would also be nice. I have considered a Yeasu FC-40 but I don't know much about it or comparable alternatives so guidance would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The FC-40 is for wire or whip antennas; the FC-30 is for coaxially fed antennas (or could be used with balanced line fed antennas, using an external balun).

I don't think it has any more matching range than the auto tuner in the FT-450D.

The LDG YT-100 is rated for greater matching range, but still won't have the kind of range a good manual tuner will have.

It would be helpful to know what the wide variety of antennas are.

3. AK7SA

I'm starting off with an 80-10m 72 foot end-fed antenna from maple leaf studios in my attic which would be connected to the tuner via 50ft of coax. But I'm also considering longer term a fan dipole and/or a flagpole vertical. Ultimately I would like something versatile enough that I won't need to buy a new tuner each time I want to try a new antenna.

4. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

The endfed will probably need a manual tuner. THe fan (If properly tuned) should not need a tuner (Except for getting the full spread of 160M & 80M). The flagpole would be best off with a remote autotuner.

Ed

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You must have a long attic.

For an end-fed wire, the FC-40 would probably work well, and of course much better if you can attach it to a very good ground; otherwise the outer conductor of your coax becomes the 'ground' and you'll have common mode current issues.

Fan dipole properly tuned for dimensions shouldn't need any kind of tuner, and the FC-40 would be the wrong kind.

A flagpole vertical could use the FC-40, with the ground terminal connected to the radials at the feedpoint.

6. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Recommened AutoTuner?
    NONE, by me !
    If you go to a fan dipole you don't need a tuner but for random wires, nonresonant gain antennas (G5RV, EDZ etc) You need one.
    You Really need a manual tuner for some ideas that you propose.
    A manual tuner usually has more range of X and Z it can handle. Look into the ones with the continuoulsy variable roller inductance , they will match where the step tap switched inductors may miss.
    They are more work than the lazy man's autotuners but excersize is good for your health !
    Good luck.

7. K8NIV

K8NIV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What about a MFJ 939, you can buy the hookup for it, been seeing a lot of good reviews on it....I also run the same radio you have and this too is my first HF rig...

8. AK7SA

Wow that 939 looks like a real quick and seemless tuner and at almost half the price of a FC-40 or LDG YT-1200. Does anyone have first hand experience with one?

9. KF5NAJ

KF5NAJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hard to beat a LDG tuner, I have two

10. AK7SA

Which ldg do you recommend and why is it better than an mfj?

K8NIV likes this.