ad: KC0Wad-1

Recommendations for SWR/Wattmeter Kit?

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by KD2GYO, Jul 5, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
  1. KD2GYO

KD2GYO Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,
    I'm looking for a SWR/Wattmeter kit option:
    • Would need for portable use, so can put into a case and run from battery/12V
    • Arduino based (although I suppose doesn't matter too much)
    • For it to include a display 2 or 4 line LCD would be great - I saw this product in a video, and something that I can approximate in size would be ideal.
    • Can just be the PCB for purchase and then BoM - am fine to get all components
    • Max power 100W fine, 180-6m - and probably just 40m-10m fine
    Have found various possible options online - but wanted to see if anyone here had a clear recommendation given the above. Pointers to purchase-able PCB with design details would be just fine.
    Thanks,
    JW

2. AA3EE

AA3EE Ham Member QRZ Page

There are lots of handheld "antenna analyzers" that will display a graph of SWR, but I don't think any are kits. Several people/groups have put out Arduino based kits, but they've all had lots of issues which required the builder to solve problems on his own. Rolling your own (R&D: ripoff and duplicate) can be done with existing modules but it won't be a Heathkit (or Elecraft these days).

3. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

An SWR/Power Meter is so simple . . . you don't need a PCB . . . so you don't really need a Kit !

All you need is a Moving Coil meter, a couple of toroids, a couple of switches, a couple of resistors and a couple of diodes . . . plus a box and antenna connectors.

The EASIEST (and cheapest) way to get all those is to buy a $15 CB SWR/Power Meter. I have found these are rubbish away from 27/28 MHZ . . . but you have all the above parts you need to make your own (apart from a couple of toroids)

So just build your own circuit inside the case . . . so it will look good and cover 160 - 10m.

Roger G3YRO

W6JJZ likes this.
  4. VK4FFAB

VK4FFAB Subscriber QRZ Page

Fox Delta do a swr power meter kit that is reasonably priced. I have one of their antenna analyzers and its worked flawlessly.

5. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

+1 on building your own.

Learning to measure power with a diode detector is a fundamental part of learning radio :)

Rege

6. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Is the idea here to have a USB link to a PC or something? Because Arduino really is overkill... As Roger said, it's just a few components and a meter, unless you want it to be accurate at low power, which adds a few more components.