recommendations for SUV rear hatch mount and 1/2 wave 2 mtr ant.

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KB2DR, Mar 25, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KB2DR

KB2DR Ham Member QRZ Page

Looking for suggestions for an antenna mount for my Hyundai Santa Fe SUV. Can’t do a mag mount, since most of the roof is glass. I was thinking of a mount on the rear hatch, combined with a half wave 2 mtr. Antenna (so I can avoid the need for a ground plane) Some of the mounts look like they can be easily positioned. Does anyone have experience in the mount and or antenna ? Thanks ! KB2DR

2. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

If you have no other option after exhausting all other possibilities, Diamond makes an adhesive backed mount that's pretty strong. Asked a few people I have seen that had them on the rear glass of pick-ups. Reports were good. One guy said he removed the supplied adhesive and used 3M automotive body trim adhesive for an even stronger hold.

N8ZL likes this.
  3. K6EEN

K6EEN Ham Member QRZ Page

Comet SBB-5 antenna on a Comet CP-5M mount?

Most of the 1/2 wave designs for the hatch lip SO-239 mounts are going to be dual band. I think Larsen makes an NMO mount 1/2 wave single-band for 2 meters, but an NMO mount really wants to be drilled and mounted in the metal roof.

4. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a pair of Diamond 400 series on my Tucson. One mount is for a PL259 and the other is classic 3/8-24. I route the mini coax up to the hinge area and then down the channel of the body opening and thru the gasket in the corner of the hatch area. Couple pieces of duct tape and that was it. Lasted 3 years so far.
    Mike N3PM

K1XH likes this.
  5. KK6Q

KK6Q Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a Comet ss-680sb dual band antenna, with a SO-239 lip mounting on my 4 runner, and routed the mini coax thru a gasket going between the door and body, just as noted in a previous response. I've had this arrangement for over 10 years and repeated the same installation on a new 4 runner I just got. The antenna is about 25inches long and mounted it so about 14 inches of it protrude above the top of the vehicle and then I don't have too much scraping against the garage door or indoor parking structures.

6. WA2EIO

WA2EIO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The Diamond 400 series is very strong.

Whatever you decide, if it is a lip mount type then be sure that you SUV has a flat 'lip' area at least 3 1/2 - 4 inches long for the mount to be attached. Many vehicles have curved/shaped doors and hatches that do not allow for a firm grip with a lip mount. The only place I found that was straight and flat with clearance for the mount's set screws was on a section of the hood on my Highlander.

Last edited: May 11, 2021
    K1XH likes this.