Recommendations for logging software

Discussion in 'Logbooks & Logging Programs' started by KO4HFX, Feb 12, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KO4HFX

KO4HFX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi guys,

Did not realize there was a separate forum for software--need to learn to read. I'm a new ham and could use some recommendations for logging software. At this point I don't know what I don't know. I did not realized there are a bunch. What would be a good one (or ones) to get started. Don't know if I will get into contesting but would not mind having it work with Logbook of the World. I have an Icom 7300 and a Dell laptop running Windows 10.

Thanks,

Jerry

2. WA9FZB

WA9FZB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

See my response in your other post, but the gist of it is:

1. For general station logging (the master record), I use N3FJP Amateur Contact Log.
    2. For contests, I use N1MM Logger+.
    3. For digital, I use WSJT-X.
    4. For confirmations, etc., I use LOTW.

N1MM and WSJT-X can export .adif files to N3FJP.
    N3FJP can export to LOTW. (It can also do lookups from QRZ.com, if you are a subscriber)

I've set all this up since last June. Until then, I was strictly paper log bound. I also use a Dell i5 notebook, but with a Kenwood TS-590.

3. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

Log4OM Version 2.0 is free, well supported and easily integrates with other contest logs like N1MM and digital mode software.

https://www.log4om.com/

K1XH likes this.
  4. WA9FZB

WA9FZB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I went through my own research just months ago. The choices are many, and the software is very different from one to another. Fortunately, most of the packages allow a free trial download, so try a few before you pick one.

I may be over-stepping my bounds, but I don't read anything in the OP's comments that makes price a specific issue, so "free" may not mean much. It didn't, to me. We spend hundreds (or thousands) of dollars for a rig, antennas, microphones, keys, accessories. . . so why would we quibble over $50-100 for logging software?

I think functionality, features and style are the main decision drivers. I found that Ham Radio Deluxe, one of the most popular packages, seemed to be just "too much" for my needs. I then found several that could meet my needs without having steep learning curves, and picked one from that "short list." Then I added other software "accessories" for contest logging and digital modes.

YMMV, but that's how I went about it. I actually sort of enjoyed the process, and I'm pleased with my choices. Doesn't mean that I'll never change any of it. . . just that I'm happy now.

5. KB1FGC

KB1FGC Ham Member QRZ Page

I actually asked the same question about 5 weeks and here is were I'm at now--Dxlabs is well supported but a bit hard to learn.I got enough to get going on it but sill working out some issues.For me Swisslog was well laid out but saving file seemed to be an issue with me,I kept erasing my logs.I could never could get registered, never received an email from the moderators and could not use the forum so I gave up.Now I am playing around with Log4om which seems nice and they have a support forum.N3FJP looks decent and it's not much.I'm to the point were a logger is great if you find one your comfortable with so spending some money may be worth it.
    Rich

6. KE4ET

KE4ET XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you are looking at possible portable ops for Parks On The Air, my new free logging program is in Beta release to the testers though I've been out with it I think 49 times now for 2 or 3K contacts. It is working well and approaching full public release. You can see the thread in this subforum - PyLogJam is the name. If you want to test it drop me an email. It is intended to be super simple to use. There is no configuration, very minimalistic, it runs on most anything except the ipad (perhaps in the future), and the learning curve is all of a couple minutes. The ADIF log generated can be uploaded to LoTW and POTA coordinators. It isn't for general logging; just for POTA. But you might like it for that purpose. There isn't anything simpler.

A 7300 and a laptop doesn't need much more to go portable if you aren't already doing so! Bioenno 20Ah battery gets you 4 to 5 hours. A bit of coax and an antenna and you are there. Check my QRZ page.

Best of luck with the logger rabbithole.

Gerald KE4ET

7. W0AQ

W0AQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Here's a list of my favorites:
    • QRZ online logbook.
    Good luck.

WM7C likes this.
  8. KB1FGC

KB1FGC Ham Member QRZ Page

Jerry I replied at the bottom of the listing about my experiences with loggers.I'm new to it also,But from what your describing,LOG4OM2 should do what you want.It took 2-3 hours but for the most I got it running.It's has a layout similiar to most programs with the menus on top so i found it more familiar to work with.It is free and if you need help getting started let me know.
    Rich

9. WM7C

WM7C XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I usually just use QRZ too, but forget to enter the frequency most of the time.

10. KI5AAI

KI5AAI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

N3FJP for me. Works great getting stuff into LOTW which then gets it to QRZ. Simple and just what I need.