Recommendations For Anti-Corrosion Antenna Connections.

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by K2WH, Jul 1, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am about to install my homebrew Eggbeater antennas, one for VHF the other UHF on my roof.

For materials, I have used Stainless Steel coupling nuts (to hold the looping elements), with stainless steel socket set screws as an element clamp.

The elements themselves are copperweld or copper clad steel which are inserted into the stainless threaded spacers which were drilled through to accept the elements (see image).

My question, will the copperweld and the stainless react with each other when wet or dry and if so, what would you recommend to inhibit that reaction.

I have planned on using my Noalox grease but was wondering do I need the grease at all on those connection points and if not, should I use it anyway.

upload_2021-7-1_13-44-50.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
  2. W9IQ

W9IQ Ham Member QRZ Page

If the stainless fasteners are austenitic stainless such as type 302, 303, 304 or 305, then the risk of corrosion is enhanced. Martensitic stainless such as type 410 does not have this effect.

In any case, the introduction of moisture and salts will further enhance corrosion so using a suitable grease will help to reduce or eliminate this source of corrosion. It certainly will do no harm so it is a good preventative measure. It may also help prevent galling of the stainless fastner threads.

Noalox may not be appropriate as it is targeted at aluminum connections. NO-OX-ID, Ox-Gard or others should be considered. You could also use a low washout dielectric grease.

- Glenn W9IQ

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
  3. K2WH

The information I have on the SS properties of both the nut and the set screw are grade 18-8, which is 304 as I understand it.

Thanks for your input.

4. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Find some NOS stainless mobile antenna stingers to replace the copper-weld wires. I found a big handful of them for $10 at a hamfest not too long ago.

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You must use a big bowl to beat eggs with that.:)

6. W9IQ

W9IQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I am happy to help. Note that I edited my reply since you quoted it as I see you also asked about the type of grease specifically.

- Glenn W9IQ

7. K2WH

Thanks for the additional info.

8. K2WH

That is a good idea, and I happen to be going to NJ largest hamfests on the 18th.

However, the stingers are probably not long enough for the 2 meter eggbeater as each loop is 7 feet long.

But they would work for the 432 eggbeater which are much shorter.

9. K2WH

Yes, I would need one of those aluminum snow sleds that look like a bowl.

Forget what they are called.

Eggbeater 1.JPG