Recommendations for an antenna

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KM4USC, Jul 23, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
  1. KM4USC

KM4USC Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello everyone. I am buying a Kenwood TM-281A 2 meter radio and installing it in a 2019 Dodge Ram. I am asking for a recommendation for an antenna that will work best with a fender mount as my wife will not go for me drilling into the roof.

Thank you

KM4USC

2. W7TCT

W7TCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Two of the commonly used ones that I have used on my Jeep Wrangler TJ are the Comet SBB-5NMO and the Larson NMO150B. The Comet is a dual band and the Larsen is a single band - 2m - at 5/8ths wavelength. I have used both a 281A and a Yaesu 2980 but only use the mid power settings - 25w typical - and get very good results. I like the 2980 as it has a larger and more readable screen. :)

Take a look at the lengths and see if you could live with the longer Larsen. That is what I run now. Even fits through my garage door.

In any case, have as good a ground as you can. Check for continuity between your mount and other parts of the truck. Use grounding straps from body to frame, for example, if needed (generally so and easy to do as usually holes are here and there are ready to use).

Either antenna will serve you well as will the Kenwood 281a.

BTW, if you haven't looked into the programming of the Kenwood, Chirp (found here) works well.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    KM4USC likes this.
  3. KM4USC

KM4USC Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you. I will check both of those out

4. KD4UPL

KD4UPL Ham Member QRZ Page

I've used Diamond antennas, specifically the NR770H, for over 20 years on multiple vehicles with great results. These antennas have a solid wire whip that has an open loading coil in the middle. I've had experience with 2 Comet antennas that had a plastic loading coil in the middle. These break when struck by tree branches.
    Larsen also has a great reputation. I've got one of their 220 Mhz antennas and it works well.
    I have a fender mount on each side of my work truck. One for 2m/440 and the other for 220. They seem to work well. I have them there because I used the truck to carry a truck camper and now it has a ladder rack. Thus, mounting on the roof was out of the question. Every other vehicle I've owned in the last 10 years has gotten a hold in the roof for a permanent mount antenna. I much prefer that type of installation.

5. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Larsen 2/70 (Dual band for future use), or Larsen NMO150CHW.

Personally, I drill the holes. They seal with an O ring plus the gasket at the bottom of the antenna. A quarter wave on top of a pick up will out perform a compromised gain antenna install.