ad: portazero-1

Recommendation for 2m mobile installation

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KM6DQD, Aug 9, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: l-gcopper
  1. KM6DQD

KM6DQD Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello forum, I have a 2015 ford focus hatchback and I want to install a 2m radio in the car. I'm looking for recommendations on the radio and antennas, also your thoughts on mag mount setups . I'm basically looking to work off my local club repeater and participate in mobile club contest. I have a Yaesu ft 2900 as my base station and i'm quiet happy with it. Any feed back or suggestions would be greatly appreciated .

Andy / KM6DQD

2. N2PPK

N2PPK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm running a Diamond MR77 on my 2013 Subaru Crosstrek and have been quite happy. Between that and my IC-2300H, I can hit my club's repeater from work, which is about 25-30 miles from the repeater. I've been happy with that setup unless I've got kayaks on my car, and then I have to go without.

3. K5BBC

K5BBC Ham Member QRZ Page

1/4 wave on the roof. The Focus is low enough that it won't be a problem in most garages. All you'll do with a mag mount is screw up your paint over time, and crush the coax to the point of uselessness. I only use them in rental cars or loaners for events.

On the 2m rig, you have too many choices to mention. I'm partial to Kenwood and Icom.

4. KM6DQD

KM6DQD Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you for the replies, question on the mag mount. The paint damage, is that from removing the mount or movement caused from driving. I've seen some antennas that just unscrew from the mount.

5. K0PIR

K0PIR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Both and I would suspect vibration.

You can wax the roof and use a mag mount with soft underside (most claim to have one) to make it better. Some spots can be buffed out so they aren't noticeable, others can't.

I've used mag mounts for years and they work.

Good luck and best 73!

6. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

For many years prior to retirement had leased many vehicles and to avoid hassle at turn in did not do permanent mounts and have had great success from 10 meters up using the cigarette lighter plug and mag mount antennas you want to be careful not to exceed the rating of the lighter plug in recent years have found that to be 10 amps check your vehicle manual I also fuse the power lead prior to the plug they sell pads for under the mount. Is this the best way to do a mobile set-up don't think so but it suits my operating style and have no good reason to change it.

7. N2PPK

N2PPK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've found that if you remove it once in a while and wipe it down with a clean cloth, there's no long term damage. Mine's been up there for a year and every time I get up on top of the car, I wipe it down and put it back.