ad: cq2k-1

Recommend Radios?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by WX5FTS, Apr 25, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. LU8DO

LU8DO Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello, I have my old Icom IC 706 MKII for 20 years, I have accompanied thousands of kilometers traveling Argentina, several of these routes are dirt or gravel, it works excellent, I use it with COMET CA 14, 7, 21 and 28 antennas. .in VHF it is not very useful since, sometimes the distances between populations is more than 300Km, for portable operation it is not recommended because its consumption is very high in reception, then I use my Yaesu FT817 which is an excellent equipment for that use, with a small battery, solar panel and portable antenna ... it works magic.
    73 by LU8DO,. Pablo

K8PG likes this.
  2. DS1PKC

DS1PKC Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello. Thank you for the picture.
    I have a question. Can I still buy Icom 706 MK2G in the market?
    And if you don't mind, can I see the picture of the antenna?

Regards,
    DS1PKC, S.Korea

WD5IKX likes this.
  3. WD5IKX

WD5IKX Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes...IC706MK-IIG radios show up on the used market quite often. Icom made lots of them. Here is a picture of my Texas Bug Catcher style antenna. The coil was made by a company call ForTex. MTC still offers bug catcher parts but these parts can be found on the used market as well.

WD5IKX Bug Terminator-4-Lbl.jpg

73 John WD5IKX

W5ESE likes this.
  4. DS1PKC

Dear John,
    Thank you for your pic.
    Which one is the HF antenna in the picture above?
    And for vehicle HF equipment, what are the limitations?

73 DS1PKC

5. WD5IKX

The antenna on the left is for HF. It can be tuned on 80, 60, 40, 30, 20, 17 and 15 meters. To tune 12 and 10 meters requires a shorter whip. I mainly operate on 40, 20, 17 and 15 meters.
    To change bands requires moving a banana plug to different taps on the coil. The antenna on the right is sold by MFJ and is for the 2 meter and 70 cm bands.

John WD5IKX

6. DS1PKC

WD5KIX, This is DS1PKC.
    I have an ICOM IC-2730A VHF/UHF DUAL BAND Transceiver for vehicles in Korea.
    I am looking for HF equipment for vehicles to communicate all over the world. If I install it, I'd like to communicate with you on DX band.
    Although I'm not sure if the radio waves will reach your city... ...
    Thank you.

WD5IKX likes this.
  7. WD5IKX

When propagation is good it is possible to work stations all around the world from a mobile. HF mobile requires more attention to detail when doing the install and the K0BG website is a great source for all things mobile. http://www.k0bg.com/

Hope to catch you on the air. 73

John WD5IKX

8. LU8DO

Hello, this is a comet CA XX series, wen you change the band, ned to change the antenna, all of thhere are same . 73s IMG-20200429-WA0004.jpg

9. LU8DO

but, i think, you, in USA.....Tarheel, of course.