Recommend Radios?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by WX5FTS, Apr 25, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WX5FTS

WX5FTS Ham Member QRZ Page

The last time I was into HF, specifically mobile/portable All Band-All Mode operation, the FT-8[1/5/9]7D series was king. Can someone help suggest a new radio I should keep my eyes on? I very much enjoyed the FT-857D I was able to run and would like to run ABAM mobile/portable again, but at <=50w while mobile and 5-10w while portable.

2. WD5IKX

WD5IKX Ham Member QRZ Page

It's not new but the venerable Icom 706 MK2G is a very good mobile HF/VHF/UHF radio and often available here on QRZ. I have never regretted buying mine.

WD5IKX-mobile install-01.JPG

John WD5IKX

K8PG and K0UO like this.
  3. WX5FTS

Is there an easy way to reduce power on the radio?

4. WD5IKX

Yes....There is a quick menu setting to adjust the RF power out and other settings. I have run mine at 10 watts before.

John WD5IKX

5. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What modes/bands do you operate most frequently and do you do you plan to run mobile primarily but mount in a way that it can be taken out for portable? I ask these questions because if you are primarily looking for HF portable there are better choices like the Elecraft KX2/KX3, the upcoming IC-705 is sure to be a hit.

The 857D is a great mobile and while I have used mine portable, even with the power turned down it can be a bit of a battery hog. The KX2/KX3 could be used mobile for sure if you got creative with mounting, you could get an amp for them but of course at that point you could have bought both the 857D and 817ND.

W5ESE likes this.
  6. WX5FTS

When I do run HF, I normally run 80, 40, 20, 10, and 6 (I know 6 is VHF), with 2/440 for normal operation locally. In order from most used to least used 2/440, 20, 40, 10, 80, and 6. I do like having the other frequencies readily available to me in case band conditions change. But those are the the ones I used most frequently for contesting, nets, or for general contacts.

The way I want to use mine is mostly mobile, but can be taken out for portable operation or base station operation if we have another shut down like this, for Field Day, or if I want to go camping in the woods.

7. WD5IKX

Taking the radio out of the vehicle for portable ops gets to be a PIA. I use a second radio for portable ops.....it saves time, effort and wear and tear on the radio. You can find many nice used radios at good prices and you could get several for the price of a KX3. Don't get me wrong.... I would love to have a KX2 or KX3 or the new IC705 but just haven't been able to allocate that much cash.

I use an old DX70TH for HF portable.

DX-70TH portable rig.JPG

John WD5IKX

W5ESE likes this.
  8. WX5FTS

How much did the DX70 set you back?

9. K5WY

K5WY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't know what John paid for his, but I got mine with an Alinco 30A PS and two antenna matchers (one remote automatic and the other a manual) for $550 on the big auction site.

Edit: I got the TH version, because I wanted 100W on 6M. That said, I've never made a contact on 6M...

10. WD5IKX

I bought my DX70TH about 6 years ago for around $400 including the mic and separation kit. I think they are going for somewhat less now. I have been thinking of selling it to help finance a Yaesu FT891 but I am a bit attached to it. (^8

John WD5IKX