Recommend an HF radio

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VE3GZB, Dec 1, 2019 at 5:52 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

But the TS-590SG doesn’t have a fancy, colorful touchscreen display to impress children and non-hams like the Fisher-Price 7300!

WD4ELG, K1VSK and K8AI like this.
  2. N5PAR

N5PAR Ham Member QRZ Page

This is why it’s so much fun to read the threads on the Zed. Someone posts a question. In this case it’s about an overloaded receiver. The OPs solution is to turn off AGC. Several fellow amateurs answer and tell the OP to turn the AGC back on plus some other useful tips. OP comes back and argues with people who posted sensible answers to his questions. You could almost make the argument that an argument or veiled bashing of the Icom 7300 is the real reason for his post

WD4ELG, K0UO, W9FL and 2 others like this.
  3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It may not have been good for you. It works fine for me. I generally run with AGC at mid, but have used fast. Off? Never.

4. W4NNF

"But the TS-590SG doesn’t have a fancy, colorful touchscreen display that some are unable to figure out and learn to use to their advantage like the 7300!"

There, fixed it for you, OM. :rolleyes:

It's not that hard. ;)

W9FL likes this.
  5. W4NNF

Maybe. Also? Some just have a tendency to bite the hand that feeds them. Or don't really want advice; they want validation of what they are doing already. ;)

WD4ELG, N5PAR and W4RAV like this.
  6. VE3GZB

VE3GZB Ham Member QRZ Page

Negative.

When I first started trying digital modes, it was advice here on QRZ which informed me the reasons why AGC has to be OFF. And it has proven to be good advice to allow hunting DX.

The receiver in the 7300 unfortunately has a poor dynamic range performance in environments where heavy broadband QRM and relatively close proximity to other more power ham stations coexist.

I'm simply seeking an affordable used alternative to the 7300, something which has better receiver performance for my environment. I am not seeking your sarcasm.

N8JLM and N5PAR like this.
  7. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

The TS-590SG was an excellent suggestion. You might also consider a used K3. If you’re using either of these rigs and you’re still having strong-signal issues, then simply swapping radios isn’t the answer.

8. W9FL

W9FL Ham Member QRZ Page

Here: https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/icom-781-hf-transceiver.682704/

9. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

I think he was correct the first time.

10. W4NNF

Nah...not in this little corner of the Universe. :rolleyes: