Recommend an HF radio

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VE3GZB, Dec 1, 2019 at 5:52 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Ditto, I fully agree with this. OP for the money, there is no better radio. If as you say you live in an area with high noise, a better receiver is not going to gain you a single thing. Only make your wallet thinner and lighter.

N8JLM, KK5JY, KA4DPO and 2 others like this.
  2. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

my thoughts exactly. "Sensitivity" is almost meaningless on HF, where the signals are noise limited anyway. The real measurement is in selectivity..... which a LOT of radios do better.

3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It works just fine here. I know because the 7300 sitting next to me is set to fast, and I just worked another ATNO. ;)

Maybe you should listen to the people here trying to help you rather than what you may have heard. But if you don't wanna, you don't wanna. Have fun and you're welcome, OM.

W9FL likes this.
  4. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd say junk the rig!

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't junk it, trade it in or sell it.

For those who don't believe receivers vary enormously in the ability to dig signals out of high man-made noise levels, I suspect you haven't tried a lot of different rigs. They do. Vary enormously.

That has nothing to do with sensitivity, and really not even selectivity; it has to do with gain distribution and how the design implements noise reduction. The ability to hear an S2 signal when there's an S9 noise level is a very cool thing, and can be accomplished by some designs, but probably not by the 7300.

K0UO likes this.
  6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Selectivity varies a lot; not so much by "bandwidth" but by where the filtering is located in the receiver.

Side-by-side, two different design receivers may both have 2.3 kHz bandwidth, but one may discriminate signals far better than the other one.

Even more variable is noise reduction; how it's implemented, and where it's located.

KK4NSF likes this.
  7. WR1O

WR1O Ham Member QRZ Page

Buy a Kenwood TS 590SG, you can thank me later.

WW2PT and K8AI like this.
  8. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yaesu FTdx-3000 is a better transceiver.

9. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

So why would you want to disable AGC on any mode? Someone sold you a bill of goods.

10. W4RAV

W4RAV Ham Member QRZ Page

At least one reason I can think of.... Because a strong nearby signal might wipe out the weak one you're working.

There's more to it than just AGC, but that's one button I rarely enable.