Recommend a straight key?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KG7BYJ, May 16, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KG7BYJ

KG7BYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

2. KG7BYJ

KG7BYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks to all! Have ordered the plugs and a kit for wiring. Hope they arrive soon, as I am anxious to get going!

W1BR likes this.
  3. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

To be fair, that's about five bucks in today's money. Not much compared to the hundred bucks or so they frequently bring these days, but still far more than fifty cents in today's money.

4. N6MST

N6MST Ham Member QRZ Page

And at that price you're still getting a "run of the mill" J-38. Find something like the rare Lionel without the logo stamped into the bottom of the Bakelite and the price goes way up!

W5BIB likes this.
  5. N3PDT

N3PDT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, the military surplus days were awesome John, but don't forget you could also buy a brand-new chevy Impala for $2600 in 1960!

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Were they that much?

I don't remember (I was 8-9 years old).

But I bought my first "brand new" car in 1969, a Toyota Corona (no longer made, but kind of the forerunner of the Camry), for $1999 out the door in '69. I'd have guessed an Impala in '60 would have been less than $2600.

7. KD1W

KD1W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The adapter is all that is needed. Simple.

8. VE7PJR

VE7PJR Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a 40-year gap between the key input on my old Triton IV and that on the IC-7200.

I had to go through some menus to get things set up, but once that's done it's done (unless you change to the onboard keyer...).

I have only one key jack, and it's in back of the radio, so I created a short extension cord to move my key attachments to the front of the radio. You COULD create one such and simply put the stereo connector on the end going to the rig, and then place a panel or box of jacks that will accept your current plugs.

We had quite a discussion about this a year or so back: HERE
    ...so you can see how I did it.

Chuck VE7PJR