Recommend a clear sounding speaker for my car

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by KN4DQE, Aug 22, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KN4DQE

KN4DQE Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Kenwood D710 I'm my van. Right now I hooked up a Kenwood speaker to it, but man it still sounds like the folks are underwater. When I had it hooked up in the house I used a book shelf speaker and it sounded great. Any recommendations for a mobile speaker that will actually sounds good?

2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Used Motorola mobile speakers are hiqh quality, designed for voice communications and essentially indestructible with a 3" cone. You can pick them up at hamfests or on eBay for generally around $10-$35. You have basically two choices: Rounded and square. Sometimes you find them surplus in piles.

They work well in the shack, and are a noticeable improvement over the tiny built in speakers of radios. Additionally, they can be pointed directly at the operating position; improving reception. For multiple radio operating, separating speakers helps quickly identify which radio the signal is coming from. I've got half a dozen in the car and shack in use for over 25 years.

Caution: All car speakers should be mounted so they do not become missiles in a crash. Motorola speakers are particularly heavy (reduces vibrations).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

KW6LA likes this.
  3. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

I have several of these cheap speakers from Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/RoadPro-RPSP-15-Universal-Extension-Speaker/dp/B000ZIC18Q/ref=sxin_3_ac_d_rm?ac_md=1-1-Y2IgZXh0ZXJuYWwgc3BlYWtlcg==-ac_d_rm&keywords=cb+speaker&pd_rd_i=B000ZIC18Q&pd_rd_r=7d927c6e-4cef-4aaf-bce0-4652772cbc54&pd_rd_w=JHBOW&pd_rd_wg=0SSCn&pf_rd_p=d29bc9bc-49e2-46b8-bc05-387917c341ec&pf_rd_r=KYG5MFZCE8RMPZQB5DMF&qid=1566587679&s=gateway

They work very well for me under the seat; but I am 36 years old and still have my high frequency hearing. I have older friends who mount the same speaker where it can be heard directly.

I could be wrong, but I can't image you really want a speaker for the radio in your car that sounds like a bookshelf speaker. For one, it will not sound at all the same in the relatively noisy environment of your car as it does in your quite house. All of that extra frequency response that makes it so pleasing indoors only makes what you are hearing less intelligible in the car.

There is not a lot of practical variance when it comes to sound quality from a 2 or 3 inch speaker in a tiny box. Whatever you do, don't spend something like $100 on a solution. You will just be wasting money.

4. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

Try to mount a small speaker just behind your seat at near head height so you can hear it without a lot of drive volume. This mounting location is usually not objectional to a passenger when driven just loud enough for you to hear.
    I use a small CB unit cabled under the seat to the radio.

5. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a bunch of new and semi-new Motorola speakers. They sound great. Let me know if you want one, I'm selling them semi-cheap.