Recomended battery for IC-7300

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KJ7LQB, Jun 28, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. AK7RM

AK7RM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I will 2nd the Bioenno battery for camping/hiking.

I have been using them for the last 5-6yrs exclusively for camping with my IC-7300. The model number is BLF-1220A ( https://www.bioennopower.com/products/12v-20ah-lfp-battery-pvc-blf-1220a ):
    Maximum Continuous Discharge Current: 40A (make sure your electrical load consumes less than 40A)
    Maximum Power Delivered to Load at 12V: 480 Watts (12V x 40A = 480 Watts)
    Maximum Peak Discharge Current: 60A (3 sec)
    Dimensions: 6.5 in. x 4.31 in. x 3.3 in.
    Weight: 5.4 lbs.

I can operate for 3-4 hrs a day for about 3 days. That's not calling CQ all the time, i'm usually hunting for DX stations. Keep in mind what your usage is going to be. Are you going to be calling CQ all the time? If so I would expect it to last 3-4hrs at full 100 watts output (roughly).

I would also get the two foldable solar panels (model BSP-28: https://www.bioennopower.com/collections/solar-controllers/products/28-watt-foldable-solar-panel ) that you can daisy chain together for 56watts of charging which will extend your operating time, you will also need their solar charge controller:
    Dimensions Folded:(L x W x H) 12 in. x 9.5 in. x 1 in.
    Dimensions Unfolded: 48 in. x 12 in. x 0.22 in.
    Weight: 3.4 lbs.

I usually carry two of these batteries with me on every trip. One is usually charging on the solar panels while I operate on the other battery. I keep one in a Powerwerx battery box that also allows for USB charging and DC power: https://powerwerx.com/pwrbox-portable-power-bioenno-batteries

If you have ANY questions drop me a email, I'll cut through all the tech BS and get right to it. They are expensive but they rock all day long. It beats the 72lb AGM battery I used to carry, that was a bear, let me tell you.

Rob - AK7RM
    Mesa AZ
    my email is good on QRZ....

KJ7AAI likes this.
  2. KA1YBS

KA1YBS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have just completed 4 days in the Maine wilderness with nothing more than I pack in with.

I used an icom 7000 and 25w and had some serious fun operating. I did recharge my 35Ah AGM battery with a 50w fold-able solar panel and MPPT charge controller. I should have used 100w, but the cheap panel I got on Amazon was a lie. I got 100% refund on it however.

Anyway, my antenna was either a coil loaded vertical or dipole. I had a ton of fun, even worked Costa Rica from Northern Maine, but I had to use 50w to get through on that one.

You can definitely have a ton of fun while portable.

If I am hiking, its a no brainer... QRP. I hike some real vertical hills over 3k in each direction... I'm not lugging a 10Ah battery that far.

There are no secrets. Portable ops where you use an automobile to get to, are easy to set up and use some power. QRP requires a bit more skill and patience no matter how you arrive.