Recomendations for a first mobile transceiver

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KD2SIN, May 13, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KD2SIN

KD2SIN Ham Member QRZ Page

So I'm looking to buy my first mobile radio and I am wonderig which ones the community would recomend?

I am looking at UHF/VHF dual band, removable head as the CB takes up most of the space in the Ford Focus, and added features like APRS would be nice. My price range is up to the $600 range. I am looking for a radio that I will only have to buy once and not buy again when I decide I want to do more.

Thanks and 73,
    KD2SIN

2. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

$525 will get you an FT-891, which will be a good start toward an HF Mobile station.

3. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

I am very pleased with my Yaesu FTM-400XDR. Removable head, APRS, Dual Band, color touch screen, digital (Fusion.)

KG5OSB likes this.
  4. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Kenwood, Icom, or Yaesu. If you don't want one of the digital modes, any of the three manufactures will come in well below $600 for a quality rig that will last you years. Buy a quality antenna as well. Larsen 2/70 is good and popular. Larsen, Laird, Comtelco, Antennex, are all commercial quality antennas.

KB6UMI and K0UO like this.
  5. N4DJC

N4DJC Ham Member QRZ Page

If you're not interested in digital voice modes, I'd recommend the Kenwood D710GA. It has best implementation of APRS of any mobile, full access to the TNC, and full duplex should you decide to try FM satellites.

AI7PM likes this.
  6. KA1YBS

KA1YBS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Icom 7000. color screen (eyes on the road) DSP, HF, 2m, 70cm, optional separation kit. $700 now and then on QRZ. Best bang for the buck IMHO.

All the Yaesu and Kenwood are good rigs too.

WA8FOZ and W9WQA like this.
  7. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hard to beat for size/100 watts/all bands/all modes. love mine