Recent ER articles

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation - AM Fans' started by K4KYV, May 25, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

My ER subscription must have run out. I haven't seen one for months, and the last one I could find was dated about 9 months ago. I don't remember getting any renewal notice, and mine came in the envelope, so there is no address label on the magazines to refer back to for the subscription info. They used to always send a renewal notice in the mail and sometimes even a SASE to use to send your renewal in, but I guess they have gone like the AWA Bulletin, where you don't get any notice and it's up to the subscriber to keep track of the expiration date yourself. That's why I dropped my subscription to AWA; it had expired and I totally forgot about it and let it slip for almost a year, and never bothered to renew after that. They could at least attach or stamp an expiration notice in the final issue of a subscription.

Have there been any articles over the past 8-9 months that anyone might think would make it worth ordering back issues? I'll probably re-subscribe, although the absence of any kind of conspicuous renewal notice irritates me. If there is anything worthwhile to me in any of the missed issues, I would probably order them, but otherwise that just leaves more empty shelf space for other stuff. I'm uninterested in vintage SSB, novelty QRP transmitters or modification/restoration of 1960s-era rigs like Elmacs, Vikings or Heathkits, but pre-1960 radio history, photos of interesting amateur or commercial stations, unusual components or equipment, and heavy metal tips might be worthwhile.

2. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Go here: https://www.ermag.com/index/index.cfm
    Select month of interest and click on "Submit"
    Then you can see the titles of articles in each issue.

Even if the articles are no good, I like the Classified ads, and announcements and photos. The lack of articles on big mauls is due to no one writing them. I am guilty as anyone. One of these days, one of these days....
    I get my issues at the magazine rate and the month and year expiration is printed on the address. I always send in a check every year around Jan. or Feb. a few months ahead of expiration.

N2EY likes this.
  3. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

Same problem all the magazines are facing: a lack of decent technical writers, and what makes ink often would not pass peer review. That was one of the reasons Ham Radio Magazine decided to fold up tent when they did.

N2EY likes this.
  4. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

Electric Radio magazine is not QEX and for that reason, the articles are not peer reviewed.

From the ER website:

"Electric Radio is all about the restoration, maintenance, and continued use of vintage radio equipment...

...We depend on our readers to supply material for Electric Radio. Our interest is in articles that pertain to vintage amateur or shortwave equipment and operating with an emphasis on AM, but articles on CW and SSB are also needed..."

Pheel

5. WZ5Q

WZ5Q Ham Member QRZ Page

I would re-subscribe if they would put more homebrew articles in it.
    I got tired of all the commercial AM Crackerbox restores/mods and let my subscription lapse a few years back.
    For my tastes and interests, it was a waste of money.

6. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

Magazines can only publish what material hams send into them. I am sure ER would welcome more submissions so they have a bevy of good, interesting articles to choose from and run each month. If anyone is into restoration or boat anchors ER is the only game in town.

N2EY, AC0OB, WA5VGO and 1 other person like this.
  7. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Im looking for full year ER's from 2015-18 and the 6 2019 issues. Time to get into some of this gear again.

8. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

I found these homebrew/Hombuild/Construction articles in these issues of ER (and I probably missed a few):

359, 353, 351, 350, 332, 327, 326, 306, 301, 295, 276, 270, 261, 260, 247, 236, 199, 171, 153, 152, 142, 128, 124, 105, 58, 57, 22, 18, 15, 5, and 2.

W1BR: Magazines can only publish what material hams send into them. I am sure ER would welcome more submissions so they have a bevy of good, interesting articles to choose from and run each month. If anyone is into restoration or boat anchors ER is the only game in town.

Very true.

Pheel

9. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

My leg was once pictured on the front cover of ER.

Sept or OCT '98 or so I'm told.

10. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Ray, N0DMS would likely answer your question as to your expiration date. Mine comes w/o the envelope and the expiration date is just to the right of my call on the back cover.

Been receiving ER for many years and always enjoy browsing the articles. Some months are better than others but it also depends on what gear you own and/or may be interested in reading about.

WD4IGX likes this.