Receiving good signal, they cant hear me

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by KJ4OTL, May 8, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm wondering if the coax might be very lossy. What type is it? How old is it? How long is the coax run?

Could water have infiltrated it - how is it connected to the dipole and how is it sealed?

2. NM7G

NM7G Ham Member QRZ Page

Great, Kevin. Get a good, new length of quality coax first; highest priority. By the way, a 50 Ohm (+/-) resistor at the far end of your coax will yield near 1:1 measured SWR, as will very lossy coax, but either will radiate very poorly. Far more important than focus on gray-line is your antenna system, meaning dipoles plus coax loss. 35 feet is marginally adequate on 40 meters, but is firing most of your signal at high elevations. Even a 10 foot increase in height would give payback if you can manage it, on either 40 or 20m. On 10 acres, I hope your coax run isn't hundreds of feet long!

A little patience goes a long way when learning the ropes. Emphasize listening for the strongest stations on a band, and then call them when the finish a QSO or call CQ or QRZ. For a newcomer, I wouldn't recommend gray-line, but listen at several different hours of day and night to get the feel of a band. You need a few solid QSOs in your log before you think about DX. Gray-line has virtually no value on contacts a few hundred miles distant.

As someone else implied, its imperative your rig is transmitting and receiving on the same frequency now. At some future time you may want split frequency though, when requested by the operator you're calling.

Do you have a manual for the 440S, and is the 440S meter kicking to a proper level when you transmit?

Gary

3. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I used my TS440 for 20 years with dipoles up 20-35 ft, for 40 and 80m, a ground mounted vertical from Butternut for 30, 20, 40M . Worked all states and some DX now and then. Just about all on CW,
    Worked some DX on 10M SSB and FM Phone, In S. America, Europe, Asia and Australia / NewZeland, but with a 3 element monoband Yagi up 35 ft.....the TS440 is a pretty good radio !

If you can't hear a lot of STRONG, = S9 + stations on 40M in late afternoon or early evening there is something wrong with the antenna/coax/connector system.
    20M is not as good in the downward end of the eleven year solar cycle, it may be a lot better in a few years but not too good now unless you have a tall tower and Yagi antenna.

If you don't already know this (a lot of new hams don't) You can not measure the SWR with the rig in SSB mode. You have to have a steady carrier like on FM or CW with the key down, to get a useful reading on the SWR meter. ALSO if you use the tuner in the rig and then look at the SWR reading, it's meaningless.
    Finally , I have to say there are some SSB groups on 40M that meet every day for many years running, that may not be too welcoming to newcomers trying to break in. I hope you are not trying to break into a big group like them, Have you been answering CQs? that may be the easier way to make a phone contact.

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  4. NM7G

NM7G Ham Member QRZ Page

I used a 40m dipole on 40m and 15m CW, and the dipole was 17 feet high at each end. As a kid, I didn't know any better. I now avoid suggesting newcomers begin with a sub-par antenna. First they're likely to be disappointed with results, not just in QSO numbers and reports, but with local RFI as well. That crummy low dipole and a DX-40 (65W) or DX-100 (120W) yielded logged all continents, including the Belgian Congo (OQ5), Ukraine, Phillipines, Republic of So. Africa, Pitcairn I, Morocco, and two dozen more countries. However, that was at the peak of a solar cycle. Ten meter AM stations from Great Britain filled my shack with audio. All things are possible when the sun cooperates.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    N0TZU likes this.
  5. KJ4OTL

KJ4OTL Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, coax was the culprit. I didnt realize how bad(and how cheap)the coax I was using was. I spent a litle money and got some nice low loss coax from dx engineering. Best signal reports and best signal ever. Thanks everyone for all your help

W1VT likes this.
  6. WA7DU

WA7DU Ham Member QRZ Page

Terminating coax cable with new connectors is an art and a science. The needed skills come with practice. Unless you have developed those skills, your efforts might very well result in defective connections. By all means, learn and perfect the coax/coax connector skills, but in your current
    situation
    , you are better off buying all new coax.

7. WA7DU

WA7DU Ham Member QRZ Page

This should not drive you nuts. It is a common result of using a a communications system built around a multiplicity of variables (antennas, antenna orientation, radiation patterns, natural noise, man-made noise, radio frequency propagation (with sub-variables like ground wave, sky wave, NVIS, and skip), etc.

If you had a wire running from your location to the other guy's location and still couldn't get reliable two-way communications, then you'd have something to worry about.

8. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Welcome to my World. ;)

9. KA0KA

KA0KA Ham Member QRZ Page

Remember that if you are not running the same equivalent setup as the person you are hearing, well that is what happens... Many times I hear people at S2/S3 and they hear me 20 over 9... They assume, that I am hearing them like they hear me, that is not always the case...

10. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Kevin, there are ARC'c (Amateur Radio Clubs) near you in Fl.

Go to a meeting and introduce your self