Receiving good signal, they cant hear me

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by KJ4OTL, May 8, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KJ4OTL

KJ4OTL Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a kenwoodv440s. Just hsd the t p rig completely serviced and checked out and itvwas running great. I get a clearaudio from variouscstations but they cant hear me. Also, their signal does not register on my power meter. Meter is working. A spike of noise will move it or someone running a lot of watts will move it to s2 to 3.

I have a 4o meter and 20 meter homebrew dipole I am using.

There are some breaks in the coax feed but I have spliced, soldered an taped well. They are inside the shack.

Into a dimmy loadvon fm it appears im putting out 100 watts

Im a new ham and this is driving me nuts. Can anyone help?

Thanks
    Kevin

2. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

I think what you meant to say is "their signals do not register on my S-meter". If so, that suggest that their signals are very weak and they may very well not be able to copy you - not unusual. Their own noise level may be much higher than yours - which could cover up your signal while your noise level appears to be very low (a very good thing).

Look for stations with big signals that do move your S-meter and if possible, test with a ham in your area as there appears to be lots of "locals" near you (use QRZ search by Name/Addr to see those in your area).

KJ4OTL likes this.
  3. NM7G

NM7G Ham Member QRZ Page

What is "a lot of watts"? 200W, 1200W? Is your 440S attenuator turned on? It should be OFF until you get this sorted out. What time of day-night are you operating? The bands vary considerably with a 24 hour period.

I agree with K7GQ. I've worked hundreds of stations whose sig never moved my meter, but my location is quieter than average.

Unless you're an experienced electronics technician, suggest you not rely on your coax repairs as you described them. If the 440S buttons and knobs are in correct positions, replace the coax.

4. KJ4OTL

Yes that is my next move. All new coax. Ive heard people state thstvthey atrvrunnung 1200 watts or 1000. Attenuater is off. Ive been trying to work dusk and dawn grey line figuring this would be best. Thanks for your help.

I will try speaking eith a local. Thanks
    Kj4otl

5. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Kevin,
    splicing and taping coax is thriftiness at the extreme. The most reliable way to make repairs is to cut out the bad section, put PL259's on the new ends and use a barrel connector to join them. Much more reliable.

Good luck sorting things out. bill

K9MOG likes this.
  6. KD3WB

KD3WB Ham Member QRZ Page

Please repost with more information, including the SWR when using each antenna.

Ben

7. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, and the height of the antennas, proximity to other objects, etc.

8. KJ4OTL

Thanks b
    Ill. I will try that before replacing the entire coax

9. KJ4OTL

Thanks
    Swr is just a hair over 1 on both. Height of the dipoles is about 35 feet. Not ideal I know but the tallest trees I have. I have ten acres so the only objects around are the trees and residential power lines about 150 feet fro antennas

10. KD3WB

KD3WB Ham Member QRZ Page

Make sure you aren't using split frequency mode.

Ben