ad: AlphaRF-1

received interesting letter with QSL card

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W5LL, Nov 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. W5LL

W5LL Ham Member QRZ Page

I received a interesting QSL card today from RA3GS. I sent direct and was actually suprised that I got a card back. Anyway, included in the envelope was this letter. Goto http://www2.1starnet.com/matt/letter/ and take a look at it. I'd like to know what people think about it and if you've received such a letter when sending for a QSL card from this station. He's asking for money. I got no problem sending him a little cash to help out if this is really legit and not some sick and twisted ploy to get money by preying upon the generosity of the ham community.. BTW: He sends a very nice picture full color QSL card so that just makes me more skeptical that this is legit and not a scam. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Matt
    W5LL

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Could be a dispicable abuse of the system, but since the guy's a ham I'll give him the benefit of the doubt:

Millions of people in third-world countries, and I'll roll Russia into that unfortunate category right now, are honestly under the impression that Americans are all rich, and our streets are paved with gold, etc. They have no idea that most of us are only marginally better off than they are.

My XYL is Filipina and an American citizen, but has relatives in DU-land who will happily accept any sort of handouts they can get, including old clothes -- almost anything. They feel no shame whatever in asking for money from their "American" relatives and honestly think we're all loaded, just for living here. Of course, the ones who think that have pretty much never been here.

So, I wouldn't be surprised that hams in many places abroad just figure there's no harm in asking for handouts -- never know, might get some. It's a way of life, and part of their culture, in many places. "Beggar" is listed as an occupation in many parts of the third world.

WB2WIK/6

3. M3TMC

M3TMC Banned QRZ Page

QSL cards cost, So do radios. My radio would be the first thing to go if i was in a mess. Worth thinking about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.