Receive antenna for 30MHz to 2 GHz

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by N4MTB, Feb 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
  1. N4MTB

N4MTB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm looking for suggestions for a receive antenna for my Icom R9000 on the VHF-UHF antenna port.
    I was thinking about a discone??

2. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

The Discone has an acceptable swr but works quite poorly as an antenna over about a decade of frequencies, i.e 100MHz to 1GHz.

You would need two to cover your freq range. These claim to be able to do it in one.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  3. YY5RM

YY5RM Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    KA9JLM likes this.
  4. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

5. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I like my skeleton Discone antennas , good for broad band, smooth swr curve, at unity gain figures.
    The ones made by HyGain were good for high VHF band to UHF band reception. (144-920 MHz roughly) If you get them high and use low loss coax you will hear the fixed (base) stations over a good distance. The signals in the aero band (118-136) also get through pretty well.
    Reminder, there is no simple antenna that covers DC to Daylight.

NH7RO likes this.
  6. N4FFL

N4FFL Ham Member QRZ Page

I’m in the same boat. Looking for a decent VHF/UHF antenna to run on my TS-2000. I finally found the MFJ-1868 discone that would cover from 6m to 23cm. I thought I was set. However, now I’m seeing a bunch of reviews stating that the parts are falling off of them and they are cheaply made Chinese antennas. Also I saw one review that said the coil burned up at 50W. Soooo...

Crap, back to the drawing board. Then again, I’m hoping maybe my dipole for HF will cover the 6m and I done have the 23cm on my TS-2000, sooooo, really I would just need to cover 2m and 70cm. Although 1.5m would be nice too. So now I found the Diamond X300A that would at least work on 2m and 70cm. So I may just get that. But I’m on here looking for options.

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The Diamond, properly installed and elevated, will certainly beat the discone.

There is no 1.5m band. Maybe you meant 222 MHz (1.3m)?

The discones that cover 50 MHz aren't discones on that band; they're base-loaded vertical whips over a very marginal ground plane and don't work as discones at that frequency; they work kinda like a loaded mobile whip not attached to a car, and are very poor performers.

Serious discones (low-loss, and almost 0 dBd gain) are made with the disk and the cone from solid metal, usually copper or brass (or aluminum, sometimes) with a welded seam and the best ones cover about two octaves of frequency, not a decade. As soon as you go from solid metal materials to "skeleton" materials of rod elements, you start sacrificing performance. Even crazier is some of the hobbyist ones are made of stainless steel, which might be good around boats but isn't necessary or desirable for land work (it's lossy compared with copper, brass or aluminum).

Stick with the Diamond, and get it up above all local obstructions; it will work well.

One last: On 6m, FM/repeater work is pretty much all vertically polarized, so a vertical omni is a good idea; however "most" activity on 6m is not FM -- it's SSB, and almost everyone uses horizontal polarization for that. The difference is large. You can miss what should be strong signals (from 50-100-200-250 miles away) on 6m SSB if you use a vertical antenna -- those signals would be easily workable with a horizontal one, oriented properly (like a rotary dipole, or a small beam).

N4FFL likes this.
  8. N4FFL

Sorry, I meant 1.25m, as you said. Typo on my end.

Well, looks like I’m going to go for a horizontal doublet with ladder line and a 1:1 current balun for my 80-10m (or maybe 6 if I’m really lucky?) and the Diamond vertical with RG213 coax for the 2m and 70cm. Best I can do for now.

Thank you for the very helpful info!

9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nothing's ever "best you can do," until you've done everything.:p:)

Remember the 80-6m dipole will be extremely directional on 6m, with lobes that have modest gain in a couple of directions and big nulls that have a lot of loss in others. That's why a much smaller, dedicated 6m rotary dipole is a much, much better antenna for 6m.

Most folks who "try out" 6m and then abandon it ("Nothing there") are the ones who used ineffective antennas on six. There's always something there. And the TS-2000 is a good 6m rig.

N4FFL likes this.
  10. N4FFL

Sooooo, does that mean I would actually have to run THREE antennas to my TS-2000? One for 80m-10m, one for 6m and one for 2m/70cm? I didn’t expect to have to do all of that. Plus I don’t think I have anywhere to put them all. LOL!