recap s40b now issues......

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by KB2WVO, Oct 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
  1. KB2WVO

KB2WVO Ham Member QRZ Page

ok i recaped a s40b. local friend hooked me up with caps all brand new. he ordered them had them shiped ..
    sooooo i go thru and one by one.. 2 hours later... there done...

yep here comes that WORD...... SMOKE.. will sort of.... mind you this radio worked ok before recapping..

will u ask wheres the smoke comming from .. the 1500k wire res... but ill add a kicker to this mix..

the yellow circle 12k is not 12k in radio. its 2 bumbble bees red,yellow,orng.. in parallel. so they total 24k. mmmmmm
    red is the smoking 1500k wirewound
    blue is 1K have not got to it yet.. no idea..
    hog tied some 30 and 10elec in yet to do the 2nd 10uf electro. as the 2 bumbble bees got me like WTF.... its pos to be 12k not 24k ... am i missing something..
    2nd i found vid online guy had same issue he said got to be short on the out side of the 1500K. or 10uf cap side if you will..
    radio was working.. i didnt take cover off while was on. so if smoke i didnt see any before hand. i had it on for over an hour..

so i guess... 2 parter..
    1 am i reading wrong on the 12K when its 24K in radio .. off pin 2 on the 5y3..
    2 capping kicked the rest of the parts in the butt.. pushin what it was pos to be.. and the resistors are unable to handle it...

i cant see a short with eyeball.. i cant think how i shorted anything as i took time and one cap at a time and checked as i went along for mising or loose or whatever wrong... finding nothing as i go.

the caps are from justradios. so there brand new.

2 nd image below shows the 2 bumbble bees that are in place to go from pin 2 on the 5y to the 10uf elec cap.
    color bands show 24k each. each shows on meter scaled 200k there showing 55 and 42k. togther they are 24k

not sure why it would make it over heat the 1500 if worked fine before..
    also before i did the electro caps. i turned it on to see if i did ok.. will grrrr. thats when the 1500 got to smoking.
    took it a few mins but it got there..

iam lost..

Attached Files:

2. KB2WVO

this is the video.. here is what his issue was. not sayin its mine but.... the cap he is pointing out in image blow. is not in the coil area. at all.. on this radio..
    pic of him pointing out and pic of radio i have.. no idea .. grrrrrr

the 1500 does read 1500

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  3. KB2WVO

so far. the 1k is 1.7k.... so changing it.
    the tab bar its on is 1 other res but i dont think i have the wattage . will get back ..
    the tab bar i have to redo it . on all the tabs.

4. KB2WVO

47k goin from the 1k to a the 6sk7 is 53k.

so i think iam finding its in a reresistor stage.

grrrrrrrrrrr. lol

should have left it alone till it blew up lol ..

5. KB2WVO

30uf off pin 8 off the 5y. blew up... so i guess its gettin volting it cant handle .. its pos to be 320v then to ground.
    ok for some reason i was reading the wrong caps list....
    the cap i got was 160v. it needs 450 volts... so iam guesin it was overvoltage... grrrrr

6. KB2WVO

R17 470 ohm 1/2w replaced . is burning now.
    i put the 30uf cap back from the orig cap can. off the 1500ohm off pin 8 of 5y.
    had to as the poor lil 160v gave up the ghost. 1st time for me on that. wow what a smoker .. lol

the 330 did not burn.. nor a 1k off it.

Attached Files:

7. KB2WVO

replaced V3 6sk7. 470 ohm stoped burning. got static but nothing hear.

all tubes way way hot..
    out 370 volts off pin 2n8 off the 5y
    v4 170vac pin should be 115

8. KB2WVO

admin can delete post.

tubes are toast. radio will goto junk pile.. i had a damn working radio.. last time i mess with something THAT WAS WORKING...
    damn it

9. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

Not bumblebees. Two 24K 1 watt resistors in parallel = 12k

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  10. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

You said it was working? Step away from the project for a little while and make a game plan looking for shorts, incorrect parts, etc before plugging it in again. Your level of frustration will increase mistakes!

KD2ACO and N2EY like this.