ad: UR5CDX-1

Recall Petition for the ARRL Southeastern Division Director is under way.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KG4JSZ, Jan 15, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Your attitude is neither sympathetic nor helpful for hams in HOA's.

State and federal governments overturn, nullify and change the conditions of private contracts [or/and their legal context] all the time since the founding of the nation. Nothing unconstitutional about them.

Businesses and individuals also change the conditions and application of contracts all the time as well. Discussion of disputed sales, demands of both buyers and sellers, are grist for the mill on The Zed.

ARPA is merely a logical extension of the OTA Television act, just with a different antenna!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    NV2K, K2PH, K4KPT and 1 other person like this.
  2. NY7Q

NY7Q Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't renew my membership and won't the rest of my life. I lost interest in reading all the ads in QST some years ago and early on realized they are too political for my tastes...anything I want to learn about radio and electronics is in my vast collection of books. ARRL never taught me anything about radios and electronics.

W5DHM and (deleted member) like this.
  3. AA5AZ

AA5AZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My attitude is a concern for my ability to enter, modify, or get out of a private contract with an individual and keep the government out of it. My attitude towards my fellow ham radio operators is not sympathetic because they should know what they are getting into before they move in the HOA. It is a slippery slope. It's an HOA now, but what next later? I'm not seeing a close parallel with the OTA.

Really I am speaking about as the bill was originally proposed. As time went along, the ARPA had to be amended several times to make it palpable for just the reason I wrote. It's basically a suggestion now.

NK2U and (deleted member) like this.
  4. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It is interesting that the one Director who argued for an independent legal review of the language of the bill was suddenly and without notice to the members of the Division, declared ineligible for the position he was incumbent of - after previously having been declared an eligible candidate - and his opponent "declared" elected.

Merely coincidence? It just looks fishy.

NK2U, W0PV and (deleted member) like this.
  5. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

That is news to me... Do you have a link to the text supporting that? Last time I looked at the bill text, it was essentially a one-liner that required FCC to preempt private contracts to provide minimum accommodations similar to PRB-1.

EDIT: I found it: http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Regulatory/ParityAct-SubstituteBill-Official-2016.pdf

(b) ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS In amending its rules as required by subsection (a), the Commission shall (1) require any licensee in an amateur radio service to notify and obtain prior approval from a community association, if any, concerning installation of an outdoor antenna;

And it looks like they wasted no time resubmitting it for 2017:

http://www.arrl.org/amateur-radio-parity-act

So if this passes, and if you live in an HOA/CA, you have to ask them before you put any antenna outdoors? Somebody at ARRL must be smoking some strange stuff...

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    AD0AC, W2CPD and NK2U like this.
  6. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh, it's way more than a "one liner".

7. K1MGY

K1MGY Ham Member QRZ Page

The ARRL seems to be in a downward spiral. They spent god knows how much on stupid legislation that goes nowhere; contracted their (useless anyway) repeater directory to a vendor with no warning or discussion of the membership, and according to this, decided - without a reason - that there would be no election by disqualifying one of the two candidates.

Are not these directors a component of the ARRL's articles of incorporation as a non-profit? Someone of a legal background, please chime in.

We might begin to question if any of this ARRL business is worth it. What, exactly, do we get out of Newington?

Given this, and other issues, I am withdrawing my membership. Probably the most effective way to sanction the ARRL is to cut off the cash flow.

KD8OSD, W2CPD, KE0GXB and 3 others like this.
  8. KK5JY

Yeah, I found it. I posted back a link to my original post. I thought it was a bad idea when it was a one-liner. It's just absurd now. As the current text reads, I now have to write to ask my congresscritters to oppose legislation from my own advocacy group, because it would prevent me from moving into an HOA, even if the HOA doesn't have any contract power over antennas. Many of our local HOAs are the kind that maintain common property, and make some common standards, but antennas are definitely not part of the deal. Oklahoma law even long held that ham antennas can't be considered a nuisance by the neighborhood HOA. But now, living in an Oklahoma HOA means that one has to ask permission from the HOA even if it wasn't required in the land contract?? Something is very, very wrong here. :(

K3RW and (deleted member) like this.
  9. KK5JY

I was willing to tolerate it when the answer was "not much"... but if the answer is now "negative value" ??

AD0JA and (deleted member) like this.
  10. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly. Three day old mullet left in the sun.

To all participants of this thread, the intent of my suggestion was not to turn this into another re-hash of the ARPA fiasco, although it too deserves discussion. Perhaps someone should start another Zed News thread on that renewed development (HR 555).

Lets stay on topic here regarding the apparent electoral malfeasance being inflicted by the ARRL upon the SE Division. There is probably more to it then just ARPA, as our past Director K4AC was apparently also attempting to make ARRL policy and decision making more transparent in other regards as well.

NK2U and AD0JA like this.
  11. KB5NJD

KB5NJD Ham Member QRZ Page

Not only that but some of us (quite a few from the sound of it) have actually gone through the process and attained legally binding contracts with our HOA's allowing our antennas now. I've lived in harmony with my HOA for 16 years and my tallest structure is 80-foot tall yet if this rehashed trash-bill passes I will be put in a position to have to renegotiate what I already already spent thousands to be allowed to do! Since parity began I went from a well-liked community member to a pariah and all for the glory for the league and the mess they have stirred up...

Some will say I am grandfathered. I AM NOT! The board of directors refused to add in the language to protect existing contracts with hams and their antennas.. and all this because they think it will somehow increase their membership. I have news for them - they have alienated more people than they have given hope. How far will they go?

Sorry for perpetuating the tangent... This all came to a head again today so I am a little hot under the collar. Write your legislators and explain to them why this is all a bad idea as it is presented...

1 person likes this.
  12. KK5JY

Not at all... I try to stay current with HR activities, but somehow this slipped right by. I noticed that ARRL's "Parity Clarity" document skipped over that little nugget altogether. I'm glad somebody mentioned it up the thread.

I can understand that. I would feel a little betrayed, as well. I guess the silver lining is that Parity Act is likely to be overturned in the courts if it passes. There are reasons that FCC wanted no part of this, even back in the 1980's when they did PRB-1.

+1. Already on it. :)

1 person likes this.
  13. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Well don't look now, but HOA bylaws and CCRs have been constitutionally modified by both state governments and the federal government for decades. The Feds outlawed discriminatory provisions. My state (CO) found it necessary as a matter of public good to outlaw some of the most egregious behaviors and provisions but also got rid of clothesline and solar panel restrictions. A number of other states have done similar things.

(Whether the ARPA bill as written was good or not is a different topic.)

Private contracts have been modified likewise for a long time. Truth in lending laws, time periods to rescind a "high pressure" contract and such are examples, then there are unconscionable contracts, for example a contract to commit a crime. You may write any contract you wish, but the government does not have to enforce it.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    N5PZJ, NV2K, K4KPT and 2 others like this.
  14. KK5JY

The OTA preemption doesn't require you to notify or request permission from anybody.

15. W4ABC

W4ABC Ham Member QRZ Page

Best idea I've read all day. While ARPA may be of some substance to this issue, it is not what's at issue!

Jon Pearl - W4ABC

N1EN likes this.