Rebuilding an SB-220 (for KJP)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by W1QJ, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. AH6RR

AH6RR Ham Member QRZ Page

And who is ALEX?? He has got to be a Chicken Bander because if he had a call he'd use it. Anyway this is a free market country and people will pay what THEY want to PAY. For example since we are talking about 1970 prices a Plymouth Hemi Cuda had a MSRP base price of $3433 and another $871 for the Hemi motor so for a total of $4304 you had a Hemi Cuda try to buy one today for that price, you might be able to buy a door handle for that much because they sell for well over 1.5 million dollars for a good example, for one that is cherry your looking at 3+ million dollars. And they were not even considered a expensive Luxury car more like a SB-220 VS a Alpha 77DX. So $900 for a cherry SB-220 is a bargain if you go by the 1970 vs 2013 prices.

2. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

LOL KJP.... You ain't kiddin' you have company. When I was in grammer school we had a saying "A fox smells his own hole" for you to have sniffed out that posting which by the way was just written today, how coincidental, it's uncanny you were able to find it. Makes me wonder who really wrote that? Sure sounds like the same rant as yours. I must say you underestimate the folks on this forum. Anyone reading it would surely be suspicious of who wrote it or put someone up to writing it. Poor Alex doesn't have a callsign? Pathetic to think that poor Alex must have flunked high school economics. I guess poor Alex never learned about inflation and the laws of supply and demand. Moreover with a name like Alex maybe he is Russian and doesn't understand how we operate in a free nation. Your posting was a big mistake. It insults the intelligence of those on this forum. You just dug yourself deeper into the hole.

3. AH6RR

AH6RR Ham Member QRZ Page

Like Shirley Muldowney she was very good. I have a $20 bill (one I won in my car) that she and Don Garlits autographed when they came to race at the track I used to race at. I will never sell that bill. I got to stand close to the finish line on the railing taking pictures with my new Nikon FM as they came down the strip in their dragsters I could feel every piston fire as they went by me Talk about POWER Thumps WOW that was cool. BTW Shirley won all three rounds. :D

4. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, this gets even better, the administrator chimes in with a cesspool mouth. This shows the assinine credibility of that board, forum? or whatever it is. The hole is getting deeper KJP and you are still in it. Keep insulting the intelligence of those on this forum and see where it gets you. I haven't seen anyone coming to your aid on this forum. Yet you link us to that forum with a dumb Alex who flunked HS economics and the cesspool mouthed administrator. Wow you got some real winners backing you up.

5. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Roland, I am a super fan of the Barret Jackson auction and I indeed saw the Hemi Cuda's go for 1.5 million. According to KJP that would be a "beyond stupid" price for one. Right? So if someone would pay a "beyond stupid" price for it, then they must be "beyond stupid" themselves, Right? Tell ya what, I would LOVE to be as "beyond stupid" as those who forked over 1.5 million for the car. I should be so stupid to be able to afford that kind of money.

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I had a 1967 Austin Healy 3000 MKIII in 1970 (second hand).

It was cute but had an electrical system from the Prince of Darkness (Lucas) and couldn't make it through a 6" deep puddle. But, it was still a very fun drive. I carried sprays to dry out the distributor cap and ignition wires.:p

Sold mine in 1974 for $2500, in absolutely perfect, showroom condx.

Went to a local auction in 2006 and saw exactly the same car (two-tone paint job, pearl gray and white) in also the same condx. I bid $20K on it.:eek: Just to reclaim my youth.

It went for $78,000.:p

Shoulda kept it and thrown a tarp over it in '74.

Stuff's worth whatever someone will pay for it.

7. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, and stuff's not worth what no one will pay for it. The market for a given item tends to seek its own level.

My '69 Plymouth Barracuda 340-S convertible (1 of 83) sold for $5400 new. I bought it from the original owner in '83 for $3K. Today, it is worth around $25K... almost 5 times its new price and over 8 times what I paid for it. My SB-220 sold for around $370 new (in the 70s) but is worth little more than twice that today.

Neither the amplifier nor car are for sale.

8. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

Well said. I wasted a few months and $$$ completely rebuilding an old SB-220. Added QSK and 160 meter coverage. My enjoyment in this hobby is the electronics, and a lot less operating.

Pete

9. KM5FL

KM5FL Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not sure how to handle your off topic post?? It's pretty obvious that this thread is about hams who own, repair, modify, and race automobiles and amplifiers.. When I look behind Lou, I see a loyal group of highly respected individuals who value his knowledge, wisdom, prowess on the starting line, and his readily available parts stash.. When I look behind Wa8kjp, all I see is Alex, a cesspool mouthed administrator, and other assorted arses.. I'm deeply disapointed.. I always thought highly educated engineers were above this type of surroundings..

Nick

10. N9DSJ

N9DSJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well one is known by the company they keep. I somehow doubt anyone with half a brain will be sending an amp for repair into ol' "Alex" or the "administrator" or "wireless" who is threatening to complain to the FCC :)

Bill N9DSJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.