ad: CARC-1

Reasonable amount of time to learn CW for a working adult

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by WA7ANT, Oct 15, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

You're forgetting the effect context has on conversational CW copy. If we don't happen to know the subject under discussion is film, you're right, it would be hard to surmise "screened" from "s*ree*ed." But if you and the other station had been talking about film and you copied "THEY ARE GG TO S* REE* *ARE F**AGE OF O*R TOW*," and you were copying whole words in your head, you would probably understand what was being sent.

And, most of the time you aren't copying conversation about such arcane subjects. If we look at what real-world amateurs are likely to be sending, we can see that "UR Y**I AND IC 73** *OUND GR**T" would be easy to follow if you are copying whole words in your head, and you yourself had just sent the other station the information you were using a Yagi and an IC 7300.

See? Context.

Generations of hams have found copying whole words in their head and taking notes to be the best way to work at speeds above about 20-30 WPM. I can predict with probably better than ninety-percent accuracy that if you get on the air and start having QSOs on a regular basis, you will eventually find yourself copying whole words in your head and taking notes, too.

HB9FXW likes this.
  2. KN4ICU

KN4ICU Ham Member QRZ Page

I am in the process of learning. This has been my regiment thus far:

15 min of transmitting practicing in the morning with the Morse Code Trainer app.

15 min in evening copying groups of 5 with CW trainer app. I try and add 2 letters a week..... I am taking my time, being thorough.

During longer car drives, I'll listen to 30 wpm recordings jyst for exposure. I'll also practice transmitting / spellung words I see on sifns, etc. A little over halfway through the alphabet. Hopefully in late February or early March, I'll go on the air and start the journey.

Any suggestions on practice , let me know

3. KE8EAS

KE8EAS Ham Member QRZ Page

The best method of practicing CW is the one you'll actually use. Nothing wrong at all with this.

KN4ICU and N2SUB like this.