ad: wmr-1

Reality check regarding Buddipole

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by W4EGE, Feb 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. W4EGE

W4EGE Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope someone might either confirm or deny my thoughts on this.

I have a buddipole that I got mostly for WSPR/JT6 RX and other HF tasks.
    I noticed this weekend that there seems to be virtually no Rx gain difference at all if I disconnect the shield clip (Black clip) from the versa-tee. This means that the center conductor (red clip) is feeding on 26" of aluminum poles, a loading coil and a 66" whip. ONLY!

I though I was hallucinating when I used a simple 30' wire UN/UN and it seemed to pick up more HF Rx than the 10 times more expensive Buddipole.

So this got me thinking...am I not better off with the simpler wire solution here? It seems that the buddipole only has about 120" of actual Rx surface. Am I wrong here or is there a chance that the balun is defective considering that there is no difference in Rx when the shield wire is disconnected?

Any guidance/opinion is appreciated!

W4EGE
    73s

2. PA1ZP

PA1ZP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi W4EGE

Do you use your buddipole mounted horizontaly or vertically as an angled vertical dipole ?

And i have seen a few of those buddipoles that are inductor shortened dipoles, and I wasn't impressed by its performance.
    I was impressed by the workmanship of the ham whom build this buddipole.
    I build an angled dipole of 2 x 17 1/2 feet and fed with ladderline (tuned with a MFJ949E or 904H) and it performed better as a mechanicly much more complex buddipole on 10-40 mtrs.

In fact the vertical was nothing more as a saved from scrap CB vertical of about 5.5 mtr length with its auto trnsformer removed and a single elevated wire radial fed with about 31 feet of homebrew ladderline, the vertical was placed at about 10 feet high and the single tuned elevated wire radial (this radial was electrically also 5.5 mtrs long) was ended at 1 mtr above ground.

But maybe an unun fed ( 1 : 49 unun) half wave endfed for 10 15 20 and 40 mtrs wire antenna (66 feet long) or even a shortened 10, 20 and 40 mtr endfed half wave wire antenna (about 12 mtrs or 38 feet) long could be a cheap and easy replacement.
    If your buddipole is placed realy low above ground it would be a better option to make a vertical out of it and with wire radials you would only need a single half of the buddipole to do the job.
    This all has got to do with take of angles etc.
    Its just simple and plain old fashioned antenna theory.

73 Jos

W4EGE likes this.
  3. W4EGE

W4EGE Ham Member QRZ Page

I have used it mostly as a horizontal dipole. I guess the shield line makes more sense when you are actually in Tx.
    I chose the buddipole because its folds down and stores nicely in my go-box. With a survey tripod and a painters pole, I have have it reach a height of 30' in about 10 minutes.
    It checks a lot of boxes for me in terms of travel ease and space. I just became a little miffed with I realized that I was getting better Rx from what amounts to a random length wire un/un just draped across my back yard!

Ive asked this question to the vendor and have yet to hear back.

I guess in the interim I could try two things:
    Build a vertical with a counterpoise
    or
    Jump the conductor to the "shield" side of the dipole for Rx use only.
    thank you for the feedback

4. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

A simple whip fed directly into a high impedance preamp may work quite effectively as an active antenna. It won't work so well if you shunt the signal away with the capacitance of coax cable.

But, in order to transmit effectively, you want a low loss impedance match as well.

AG6QR likes this.
  5. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

If a bigger antenna works better than a small one, you may want to turn down the RF gain on your radio. More isn't always better when receiving.