Real-time Reverse Beacon Spots Page

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Software' started by AF7TI, Sep 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AF7TI

AF7TI Ham Member QRZ Page

Built a page to visualize spots coming from Reverse Beacon telnet servers on port 7000 and 7001. Check it out let me know any issues.

Live beta version: http://34.219.0.24:5000/ - note you'll probably get a security error. Assure you server is safe; just lacks a certificate until in a permanent location.

73s

Matt AF7TI

2. AF7TI

FYI the server and client code are on github at https://github.com/AF7TI/radio. This is Flask socket.io app sending data to a Javascript page using D3. Feel free to reuse, extend, ask questions, etc.

3. WB7OXP

WB7OXP Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

matt

WOW!

only had a few minutes to watch and play.

really a nice start!

goes kinda fast for an old guy :)

seemed to work well on a a pc with windows 7 and firefox 62.0 64bit

AF7TI likes this.
  4. AF7TI

thanks! wait til a contest starts it really goes fast. i'm looking at adding pause and reverse; should help tame the stream a little. will update thread when features are in place.

5. AF7TI

Added a Pause & Brush option. When paused - and only when paused - use the lower pane to zoom in or out on the time domain.
    • while paused the app continues to collect new spots
    • 2 minutes of data is available for review when paused
    • when unpaused the display reverts to real-time ticking with 60 second window

73s, Matt AF7TI

6. WB7OXP

WB7OXP Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

soooooooooooooo

im old, when i was studying computer science gui was the orange screen instead of the green.

what does "brush" mean in pause and brush?

7. AF7TI

Brush essentially means click and drag. After clicking on Pause move the mouse over the left or right edge of the grey box and notice it changes to indicate these are handles you can drag. Move them to set the time window. You can also click and drag outside the grey box if the handles have already been moved in some to 'brush' the region you wanna zoom in on.

WB7OXP likes this.
  8. AA6YQ

AA6YQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been using the Reverse Beacon network for years, displaying reported stations and their spotters on a world map to visualize openings in real time. How do you expect this new visualization to be used?

Dave, AA6YQ

AF7TI likes this.
  9. AF7TI

I primarily use it to view overall activity because I wanted to see how busy the network is at various times and where it's busy. I wanted a streaming 'TV' view of all the bands and didn't get that view from anywhere else. I use RBN to find openings too but I only use it if I'm actively using my radio. This page I find myself watching all the time as a spectator.

10. AA6YQ

AA6YQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You can initiate the sequence shown here with a single mouse click. The data comes from up to 6 spot sources: DX telnet clusters, the Remote Beacon Network, CW or RTTY skimmers, DX Summit, and/or a local packet cluster. You can control which bands are included in the sequence, and how long the display shows each band.

So in less than a minute, you can see all of the worldwide openings on all of the bands.