ad: Schulman-1

ready to give up on QRP

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KI4QYI, Jul 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked a station in Chicago 5watts SSB on 20meters. He had a great antenna and big power. He had just gotten done telling the station before me you have to run big power during this time. After a comment like that I had to give him a call. I called him he heard me better then the station before me. He got done telling me about his station. Then I told him about mine... I am running a FT817. He says “FT817 like QRP?” I said yes 5 watts. It was after that he started not hearing me very well. LOL It cracked me up as it was pretty black and what had just happened.

In all fairness it was his antenna that made the QSO happen.

KD8ZM likes this.
  2. KI4QYI

KI4QYI Ham Member QRZ Page

Spoken like a true fisherman.

3. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

and by one who doesn't catch much :D :D

4. KI4QYI

Sitting down by the river just after dawn, watching the mist rising off of the water, enjoying the absolute silence and the crisp air, watching for those ripples of feeding fish. Some of the best times of my life. And occasionally, just occasionally, wrestling a big bass onto the shore. Sort of like hearing your call sign come out of a very quiet band, less the ambiance of course. Life is good.

KQ4MM, W5BIB and WN1MB like this.
  5. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I catch the exact number of fish I'm supposed to catch. No more. No less. The same holds true for my QRP endeavors.

Wants. Needs. Goal. Purpose. Gratitude.

K0AN, KJ4VTH and KA2CZU like this.
  6. F8WBD

F8WBD Ham Member QRZ Page

In my case I have gone from full QRP where I began nearly 40 years ago to full QRO about a year ago and now recently back to full QRP. CW exclusively. I discovered I really wasn't doing that much better at a QRO level. So, back down to 5 watts and there I intend to remain. I am spotted by Europeans and a few big gun east coast USA monitors on the RBN. Contacts are essentially continental and that is quite acceptable.

WN1MB, KD8ZM and W5BIB like this.
  7. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

I’ve given up on QRP!!!

For the night, anyway. Spent a bit of time earlier calling A82X on 30m (10115.0 CW) who was in and out of the noise, peaking at around S2-S3 on my 24’ end fed Ultimax. He was working what I imagine is a big pileup of EU ops that I don’t hear, plus a few odd W and VE stations that I barely hear. No luck, not with these band conditions.

These are the times that try QRPer’s souls.

8. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Do you use a RX-only antenna as well? My end fed doesn't hear nearly as well as it transmits. I've been able to complete several QSOs thanks to my RX loop.

9. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope. Fortunately I live in a place where there is very little RFI so my noise level is nil and very weak signals are copyable. Whether the DX can copy me is an entirely different matter. Lol!

10. KI4QYI

I wonder how many qrp operators here use directional antennas at their home station? I am sure many qrp contacts depended on the other guy doing the heavy lifting, especially when out in the field with "compromised" antennas. Some of those contacts seem almost unbelievable considering present band conditions. It has me thinking about directional antennas, especially after some have reported hearing many more stations than their end-fed's or dipoles ever heard. Is it really still QRP if your ERP is way more than 5 watts?