ready to give up on QRP

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KI4QYI, Jul 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KW6LA

KW6LA Ham Member QRZ Page

I know this is sacrilegious on a QRP forum, but get a small HF amp/ SS for the times where 5 watts has you talking to the walls. Many own high end radios, and its a shame
    not to enjoy them at the bottom of the cycle. I am not saying, GO- QRO, just that 5 watts at this time in the solar cycle will make you go crazy. Start off QRP and.... when you
    are about to go crazy ~!~@#$%^&^ rock the switch and enjoy that KX3! :eek:

2. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

Most days, it's not the conditions as much as the antenna or that no one dates to call CQ. I'm not a sports guy but those who are have a saying "you miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

KC7JNJ and N8TGQ like this.
  3. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As shown in the video, using a message buffer makes it a lot easier to send CQ for an extended period.

Also, for the KX3, you can auto-repeat the message if you hold the message button instead of tapping it. The auto-repeat interval is set by MENU:MSG RPT. I believe the interval can be set as high as 255 seconds, so you can allow plenty of time to hear a reply.

Tapping a paddle cancels the repeating message if you hear a reply, so you don't have to scramble to hit a button first.

4. KI4QYI

KI4QYI Ham Member QRZ Page

The message buffer is quite useful on the KX2 as well for calling cq. Great little radios!

5. KD8ZM

The point of the video though was that although I don't expect most people to operate at 100 mW, if 100 mW works even now, 5w will work almost all the time, even here at the solar minimum. There is no good reason to give up.

KC7JNJ likes this.
  6. N8TGQ

N8TGQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a friend that couldnt get spotted on the RBN. I went over and tried his radio out and was spotted lots. His sending was so erratic the skimmers couldnt copy it.

Another ham complained he would get 599 reports but then the other station was always asking for repeats. Same reason!

This may not be the problem at all- just letting you know about some people that had the same issue.

Have fun!
    Rick N8TGQ

KD8ZM likes this.
  7. KD8ZM

LOL. Reminded me that last night I heard someone calling CQ on 40m, but with the combination of his old tube rig pulling frequency severely every time he keyed, and his bad fist, no way was I going to try to answer that!

AJ6KZ likes this.
  8. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

With these SFIs you have about same chance being heard at 5watts as 100watts. 30meters is nice as you can check wwv and see how you are hear it. I am with KD8ZM keep trying.

KD8ZM likes this.
  9. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey Brady, I love it when I hear those guys. It makes me feel sooooo much better about my so-so sending and my old SG.

Al

KD8ZM likes this.
  10. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hearing a few stations around 10.110. At least enough to get some action.