ready to give up on QRP

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KI4QYI, Jul 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. F8WBD

F8WBD Ham Member QRZ Page

Keep up the good work and stay with it.

I know the expression of life being too short for QRP has been around for years. Frankly, I subscribe to the theory of life being too short for QRO. Perhaps my advanced years have me appreciating the small things in life lately. The beauty of a single bloom and less a field of flowers. The majesty of one tree and less of a forest. The thrill of a short distance CW QRP contact and not necessarily a QRO contact with a station a million miles away.

I once witnessed a photographer flat on the ground setting up a shot of a single flower in a garden of many. My YL and I passed him on our walk. When we returned he was still there. He may or may not have clicked the shutter.

A QRP operator will often exercise the same dedication when pulling out another weak signal.

Incidentally, a QRO station will also exercise the same dedication when doing the same !!

The receiving operator in Newfoundland exercised enormous patience when listening for Marconi's "S" from Poldhu.

Just my thoughts on the subject of QRP.

72/73

WN1MB, KU4X, KD8ZM and 4 others like this.
  2. K1GC

K1GC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I know I am brand new to it and still pretty new to ham radio; I only first got licensed in 2019 at the age of 49. I probably have a higher excitement to effort ratio that more experienced hams, but I am finding all parts of QRP to be a great fit for me. I am already a very active person, and QRP allows me to easily dovetail radio with hiking, sailing, visiting islands etc. I am also having great fun messing around with making simple antennas, testing/tuning them, and then having success using them. My daughter also enjoys going along on many of these outings and sometimes she gets interested in the radio and others she just enjoys the view (as with below last week on an island in Maine). Great to have a rig that in total weighs about 6lbs and can go anywhere, and I can get that to just over 4lbs with a smaller battery and carbon mast. All that said, I have had a handful of failed QRP outings so far due to mistakes on my part or minor equipment issues. I figure that is part of the learning curve, but if you are doing it as part of another activity, it does not feel like a wasted trip and I still got a great hike or boat trip in.

[​IMG]

F8WBD, KG7WGX, N7EKU and 1 other person like this.
  3. VK3YE

VK3YE Ham Member QRZ Page

Why I go QRP.

K1GC and F8WBD like this.
  4. G0KDT

G0KDT Ham Member QRZ Page

HF bands are fickle, at weekends they are often full of 'machine gun morse' calling TEST that disappear the rest of the time.

I have tried ops in those circumstances but binned the idea as getting trampled on while calling CQ, or if you make a contact the lack of courtesy to repeat a serial number or locator is very disheartening.

Other times as other ops have said, the signals are often very low, mostly they don't register on the S meter and are down in the noise. Combine that with VDSL, nasty wall wart psu interference etc. and QRP gets harder still.

Routinely I don't manage to get many contacts.

What I will say is that 5w with the TS590SG when I get a CW contact it is often much nicer, with nice smooth clearly spaced words morse. These make the ones I get most enjoyable, so much so that I operate this way and rarely use the 100w on tap.

The sunspot cycle seems to be just promoting use of more and more power to overcome, poor antennas, propagation and increasing qrm... its becoming a bit of circle.