ready to give up on QRP

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KI4QYI, Jul 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC3MIO

KC3MIO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

FB, Brett. Take that, QRP doubters! I like the kite & balloon ideas. With the first glimmering of a new cycle, maybe the QRP ops can turn the power down further.

2. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello To The New Sunspot Cycle Indeed!!
    I miss the thrill of running a watt or so into my big doublet! Hearing QRO guys marvel that they were hearing QRPp CW clearly.
    When I vy first started on CW 8 yrs ago there was a rather eccentric and intrepid QRPp op in Indiana I QSO'd with a few times.
    Also a QRPp friend working CW from a Catskill mountain summer tent camp on 40 at night... had several QSO with him...
    Sure do miss those days... How vy facinating to realize they're loading their wires with mere milliwatts.... 'Vy Minimalist ham radio'...
    The poor band conditions will someday soon turn back in our favor.
    40m again will be playground for battery powered mites and youngsters with headfones some wire and telegraph key!

Learn Morse.
    Do CW.
    72 / 73

3. W4XDX

W4XDX Ham Member QRZ Page

Even with ssb you can make a ton of contacts in the under 10w world. Just need to really squeeze every ounce of rf into the air that you can at whatever take off angle you're after.

4. VK3YE

VK3YE Ham Member QRZ Page

Just had a successful day of QRP. 40/80m. CW/SSB/Digital. This is with wire antennas and a small cramped block of land.

10 JS8 / FT8 contacts with 800mW homebrew DSB transceiver - mostly single hop
    20 contacts during 80m CW/SSB contest - up to approx 1000km. Running 5w.
    Station about 600km away calling CQ on 80m CW. Replied with 500mW and had good QSO.

That was just today. Some QRP tips here:

http://home.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/qrp/success.htm

5. KC3MIO

Good stuff on your webpage and good advice in general. You gotta be patient and not greedy, but the reward is great.

6. VK3YE

VK3YE Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks. This video playlist gives some ideas of what can be achieved with QRP. The low sunspot period mainly makes it harder for contacts above about 3000 km. Contacts shorter than 3000km are still relatively easy.

WD4ELG likes this.
  7. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

In my opinion, much of the problem is that there are very few hams listening for a CQ, unless it is a contest or some other scheduled event (like SKCC or a SOTA activation). Then the bands show activity. Much of the time my panadapter display is flat.

put the hobby on 'pause' for a while and decompress.
    watch looney tunes or something.

8. K6BSU

K6BSU Ham Member QRZ Page

Not exactly QRP, but my home-brew 20 Meter SSB transceiver only puts out 30 Watts (key down carrier)

Even though I have a Cushcraft A3-S beam many stations sign quickly because of "fading, or below noise level, etc".

The real issue, I think, too many stations expect S9 or more for "easy listening". Anything less than S9 and they bail out.

9. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't ever admit to QRP in a contact....I have had some people digging my signal out suddenly give up when they find out I'm QRP. They probably feel I'm not doing my part and in a way I can't blame them. Many have said that a QRP QSO is a measure of the operator on the receiving end!

To me the ideal QRP QSO is when both ends are QRP! I've never attempted operating in a QRP contest. That would be the best place to pull this off.

KC7JNJ likes this.
  10. KC3MIO

You may be a bit too far west, but the monthly NAQCC sprint is worth checking out. Actually, if you look at the April sprint, there were quite a few 0 stations - http://naqcc.info/sprint/sprint202004.html

I missed that one, my wife’s birthday, but I’ve been in three so far, and they are a lot of fun. You may want to join the NAQCC and get in the May sprint.