Ready to give up on FT8

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by WB9QVY, Jun 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
  1. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I refer to the dark side as the "automated" side. I understand studying propagation. But when "spotting" stations show far greater activity than "human operating" stations I have to ask what is happening to "human" operating in general. One may call up propagation sites and wonder at the number and location of stations that heard you. Wonderful. Without any human contact? Not much fun.
    I do operate PSK-31 (as far into the digital world as I have roamed) and even here I notice many weeks of little or no activity, followed by a day or two of a flurry of activity. Checking spots I found my signal reported every day I called CQ w/o responses. My question is what happened to operating stations? If the robots are hearing me so well, how come responses are zilch?
    I've worked DX with 18W on PSK-31. However, it's always the same handful of operators. After getting the same stations in my log a half dozen times I start to wonder how many operators are actually active.

No doubt FT-8 certainly got a lot of folks interested in digital modes. But activity seems to be limited to flurries. What happened to the days that operators on the air were common on multiple modes? It was like that at one time...and with fewer licensees than exist today. The end of ham radio won't be because of the plethora of modes developed...it will be because people stop getting on the air.

2. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

not getting an answer doesn't mean you aren't heard. did you check pskreporter.info for RX reports?

remember you can back off by 50% and "only lose 3 points" on the SNR report.

try running wspr on your 40m square, just 5w, that will tell you what the antenna is really doing.

3. W5DXP

W5DXP Ham Member QRZ Page

Should the ham with an antenna gain of 10 dB also back off by 50%?

4. K2CQW

K2CQW Ham Member QRZ Page

5KW coal-fired chainsaw combo

5. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

re: "The laws of physics state that power used is directly proportional to the amount of bandwidth consumed. "

BUT, filters ...

6. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

re: "I get almost zero results answering a CQ. On their frequency or off doesnt matter."

No mention of band used; prop (band and time of day based) and antenna make a LOT of difference ...

7. MM0IMC

MM0IMC Ham Member QRZ Page

I run QRO on FT8 and there's times I get no responses, so don't feel put out...

8. KT5WB

KT5WB Ham Member QRZ Page

I happen to work for a living. I can either leave the radio on and listening while I'm at work, sending spotting reports, or I can turn it off. Costs me money to leave it on. But I think it serves the community better if I leave it on and spotting. You would prefer I turn it off?

9. VE3PP

VE3PP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well I think what happens is this. Guys leave their rigs on the popular watering holes for FT8. And then they leave their shacks. So they copy everyone, send those reports to the reporting sites. But there is no one sitting at the rig to answer those CQ's.

I don't do that, if I leave the shack for any amount of time I shut the radio off.