Ready to give up on FT8

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by WB9QVY, Jun 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KF5RHI

KF5RHI Ham Member QRZ Page

Nah, and of course I can't get her to do that again! :(

2. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

WSJT-X 2.1 User Guide States...

"On the HF bands, world-wide QSOs are possible with any of these modes using power levels of a few watts (or even milliwatts) and compromise antennas."

97.313 Transmitter power standards. (a) An amateur station must use the minimum transmitter power necessary to carry out the desired communications.

The laws of physics state that power used is directly proportional to the amount of bandwidth consumed.

Your answer "Don't be afraid to turn up the power. FT8 is a weak signal mode not a QRP mode." is bad advice and is inversely proportional to the letter and the spirit of the law; and against the very design and purpose of why the WSJT X modes were invited.

John

AG5DB and K6CLS like this.
  3. W5DXP

W5DXP Ham Member QRZ Page

It's hard to tell a clean linear amp's 10dB gain from a Yagi's 10dB gain.

K7GQ likes this.
  4. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

K4AGO ""Your answer "Don't be afraid to turn up the power. FT8 is a weak signal mode not a QRP mode." is bad advice and is inversely proportional to the letter and the spirit of the law; and against the very design and purpose of why the WSJT X modes were invited. ""

Incorrect John! When JT65 was invented for Moonbounce it was typically run with 500 - 1000 Watts. It was designed for weak signal work
    as you said.

FT8 is NOT a QRP mode and there is no reason to run it as that other than personal preference. The intent of the law is to not run more power than you
    need to establish contact and maintain the QSO. If its 15 Watts , fine. If its 150 watts fine also. If I call a station with 50W and he does not hear me, and I
    call again with 150W and we make contact - that is following the letter and intent of the regulation. No different than running 15W into a 10Db gain
    beam as W5DXP said.

If you want to piddle along with 10 Watts and make a few contacts in the USA , thats your choice but please do not disparage others that enjoy making
    DX contacts and need a bit more power to do it because you don't like it.

I know some hams that lock their power on 30W and bemoan that the foreign stations do not call them. Well, your choice if you want to have fewer
    QSO's then have at it.

If you have a rig that has overload problems from strong signals - you need to get a better rig or learn how to use filters and tuning and other
    skills to limit this issue.

5. K2CQW

K2CQW Ham Member QRZ Page

Tim "Tool Time" Taylor: more power!

6. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you go QRO on PSK? then why do you need it on FT8?

How good is your receiving anttenna? Are you really hearing everyone around the world? If you can't hear 'em, you can't work 'em.

Anyways, you can't use EME QRO levels to justify using that level on HF. It just demonstrates that you do not understand the underlying reasons: propagation on EME path is not like HF path! So please, take a moment to read the user guide, learnd good amateur practice and considerate operating.

7. W5DXP

W5DXP Ham Member QRZ Page

JS8 automatically gives the QSO'ers an SNR signal report. When I am QSOing with the Europeans, in order to receive about the same SNR report as I am giving them, I have to be running 200w-300w to my 40m half-square which has a gain of about 4dBi in their direction. I rarely get an answer when I'm running 50w. I get an answer about half the time when I'm running 300w. I would not be getting any answers if I were running CW or PSK31. I believe that I am obeying the rules when I use 300w to make 40m European contacts using JS8.

NQ1B and KT5WB like this.
  8. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When there are more stations out there "spotting you" than operators responding to you I would say that's a "revolting development" indicative of the dark side of digital modes. I'm not against these modes, however, they don't appear to be promoting the operator involvement everyone refers to.

K6CLS likes this.
  9. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Is Binford coming out with a ham transceiver?

K2CQW likes this.
  10. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

The "Dark Side"?????

I usually leave a rig parked on an F8 freq 24/7, just monitoring the activity and "spotting" some (but not all) stations heard.

Its the same as the PSK Reporter signal reports, Its a propagation tool.