Ready to give up on FT8

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by WB9QVY, Jun 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Make sure your signal is what it oughta be. Always run your rig at full power, and adjust power level by reducing the audio output from the computer to the rig. That will ensure you've got a clean signal and people will want to work you. :)

WU8Y likes this.
  2. KT5WB

KT5WB Ham Member QRZ Page

Email the operator with whom you had the broken QSO. Explain that you are troubleshooting and ask them to send their all.txt and/or saved audio file. This will help you understand what they received from their end and narrow down the problem. If they are saving their audio file and can send it to you then you have a complete "instant replay" ability on whatever they saw from their end.

3. KT5WB

KT5WB Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, do this for sure. Lately there has been more demand for FT8 than supply. More stations trying to use the small amount of real estate. And tooo many stations QSYing!!! "You were 1khz down there 5 mins ago. Why are you right on top of me all of a sudden!! Pick a lane and stay in it!"

NQ1B likes this.
  4. WB9QVY

WB9QVY Ham Member QRZ Page

I did try out jtdx as some suggested. While it does add some nice features it did not help with the problem i was having.

I did upgrade to wsjt-x 2.1 and tried out ft4. All i can say is ...wow...thats fast. I have made more ft4 qsos in the past 3 days than i made ft8 qsos in the past 3 weeks.

I think its mostly because its new and everyone is still in the work anyone mindset. Plus there isnt wall to wall signals or juggernaut CQ machines with +15 signals to compete with...yet.

Hope to have my vertical antenna up soon. That should help.

Mike
    Wb9qvy

5. WA1RIW

WA1RIW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Perhaps by using 60W output you are being received by stations who can hear you, but you
    can not hear them. BTW - 60W is much higher than the WJST site recommends.
    Make sure you have a Green Dot next to the signal strength bar on the lower left of the screen.
    while transmitting.
    My set up has failed a few times due to rig comm errors and the program shows I'm
    still transmitting while there's an orange dot displayed.

6. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Let's start simple, for a sanity check anyway. Make sure the speech compressor, auto notch, filtering, amps....pretty much everything you can do to a USB signal....is off. Make sure your RF gain is high....they say max, but I can't bring myself to do that.

Given all that is okee-dokey, is it possible that you are using the wrong sound card? Could WSJT be picking up audio from your computer mic instead of the line to your rig? That will certainly give you the results you are experiencing. Don't ask me how I know. ;)

7. W5DXP

W5DXP Ham Member QRZ Page

When I first got into digital operations, I noticed that when my dog barked, my output power went down.:eek:

KK5JY likes this.
  8. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When that occurs you must ID as K9/W5DXP . Sorry, it had to be said.

KF5RHI likes this.
  9. KF5RHI

KF5RHI Ham Member QRZ Page

But has your dog ever broken through a pile-up? Mine did one time. I was working a DX-pedition and they came back with "the station that had the dog bark..." Better than having a little kid or YL working your station. :)

[​IMG]

NQ1B likes this.
  10. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I can imagine all the dogs barking in the pileup after that :)