ad: wmr-1

Ready for CQ WPX? Contesting Tips from Hall of Famer K5ZD

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1DED, Mar 20, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W1DED

W1DED Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

W1DED_026_K5ZD_QRZThumbnail.jpg

If you're hoping to participate in the upcoming CQ WPX Contest (or any contest), get some inspiration and tips from one of the best contesters in the world. Randy Thompson, K5ZD, has been contesting for 50 years and was inducted into the CQ Contest Hall of Fame in 2008. Randy recently participated in the ARRL DX SSB Contest where he is currently (and unofficially) ranked third worldwide in the Single Operator Unlimited High Power category. He racked up over 4.4 million points while also taking care of some household errands, taking his wife out to dinner and watching some Formula 1 racing. You'll be impressed with Randy's cool, measured approach to amateur radio contesting and his focus on keeping up with the changes to the "game" with positivity. Watch my interview with Randy Thompson, K5ZD, to get a glimpse into the contester mindset.

VK5FUSE, AF5J, K0MD and 13 others like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Remember, the WPX is not limited to 'working the dx' from stateside. Everyone is fair game!

K6RWM, UT7UX, K9EZ and 3 others like this.
  3. AI1G

AI1G XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Is 9.2 miles DX? Hello neighbor. Look forward to logging you this weekend. AI1G

PY2NEA and W1DED like this.
  4. NT0D

NT0D Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Slight correction to the video - CQ WPX does still distinguish assisted vs unassisted as a Single op "overlay" category called "Classic operator"

https://www.cqwpx.com/rules.htm

W1DED likes this.
  5. W1DED

W1DED Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the clarification!

6. NT0D

Thank you (and K5ZD) for the video! The only reason I know about CQWPX rules is because it is going to be my first contest so I have been studying studying studying!

This video was a very good resource for me as someone new to contesting, and I really appreciated his perspective about automation in ham radio.

W2CQ, W0PV, WG7X and 3 others like this.
  7. K9EZ

K9EZ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

WPX is a blast!

W1DED likes this.
  8. UT7UX

UT7UX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

From abroad point of view, it's even better since everyone works everyone. Meanwhile the US has vast variety of prefixes so if one's concerned about getting higher scores then the US is really good territory to work both from abroad and from the US itself.

W7UUU, W1DED and WF7T like this.
  9. PD7V

PD7V Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Hope to work you all and good props 73

W1DED and UT7UX like this.
  10. KT4PH

KT4PH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just downloaded and installed N1MM (whatever it is) software log, now if I can figure out how to use it!

KQ4Y, W1DED and UT7UX like this.
  11. NT0D

Can I use my contest contacts for my WAS award?!? If so I'm going to get some significant progress...

W0PV likes this.
  12. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Sure. If you want to get the WAS via ARRL, make sure and upload to LoTW. For the awards via QRZ, make sure and upload to your QRZ log.

.............Bob

W2XX and UT7UX like this.
  13. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

Good interview, he has a good attitude, One of many that suffer from Praise Addition and the need of reconicition. He seems to know his stuff.

14. KO4MAO

KO4MAO Ham Member QRZ Page

CQ WPX was Fun! I Entered the Youth overlay.

15. CO8NMN

CO8NMN Ham Member QRZ Page

It's valid for this two ways at same time you can select one or both ways to apply for your award