ad: ProAudio-1

Reading data sheets for fun and profit

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by KL7AJ, Jul 24, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Just a FYI comment. I've been perusing the OLD "Pop 'Tronics" and "Radio-Electronics "(R-E) mags, (from 1970 and later, and found several circuits I have built in the past, and now can DOCUMENT!) But of Interest:

1. The February 1972 issue of R-E announced Fairchild had just released the µA741 op-amp in the 8 Pin DIP configuration (as opposed the existing 14 pin DIP case) and it sold retail for:eek: $4.85 in single quantity.

2. In the June 1972 issue, the "MAN-3" LED readout was announced, and only(??) $12.45 each.

I guess things have changed a bit?:confused::rolleyes:

2. KE0ZU

KE0ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

I too have kept many of the old data books, they are a treasure trove of designs. The result of thousands of hours of effort by those involved in originally designing those devices.

3. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I just downloaded the complete archives of Pease Porridge. This will keep me busy for a few weeks. I wonder who the analog gurus are, these days.

4. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm always downloading datasheets not only for IC's, but mainly for transistors and other components which I remove from old PC boards. I save them to a certain folder on my computer so they're easy to find at a moment's notice.

5. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder if the mil SS stuff followed what was done for some tubes during WW2?

The tube was ordered to a power spec for intended use, usually CW and grid modulated AM. Some were tremendously overbuilt in the true dissipation rating. the 813 is one example that appears to have a 225-250W PD in SSB service before even starting to show color and the huge 803 will run a KW out from a pair. Both are spec' at a 125W PD! Another sleeper is the 4D32 which AMers run 250W carrier from a pair with no anode color.

Some of H&K tantalum plates can run white without damage; Eimac bought them in the mid 30's and continued the trend.....ever see a pair of white VT-127A's at close to a KW out on 20 CW for years? Those were a special 100TH mod for WW2 radar service and could be bought NIB for "pennies" as surplus.

The 304TH and TL was 4 75T's in one envelope, talk about overbuilt; two of the filaments could be not connected and run as a 152T. Another designed for radar use gem

There are several other examples.

Carl