Re: Spelling and Punctuation .........Again

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KB4FOS, Dec 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KB4FOS

KB4FOS Subscriber QRZ Page

Spelling and good grammar usage are the best ways to insure that you are properly understood.

How many times have you seen a driver suddenly change lanes right in front of you without signaling his (or her) intentions with a turn signal? It might have caused you to hit the brakes because you were not properly warned it was coming or you didn't immediately understand where that car was headed. It was a lack of communication between you and the other driver. The other driver did not get it right so you didn't get the message in it's entirety. (unless he smacked into you, in which case, you'll both get the message when neither one of you gets to where you're going for another three hours)

The same can be said for written communications. If I'm cruising along the highway of words and I suddenly see an unfamiliar word ahead, one that's been butchered like a shredded tire tread, I hit the brakes and sometimes have to back up. This ruins the flow of comprehension and might even convince me to take the next exit...there goes the reader's patience...

Accuracy and precision makes a good driver. It also, doesn't hurt a fellow when he's trying to get your attention on a public forum. Good communications skills are what ham radio is all about and those who slur their callsigns in a pile-up are rarely recognized. The same can be said for a poorly written post.

JaxJoe - KB4 Fast Or Slow

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.