ad: QSKLLC-1

Re-learning CW

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by K1RDD, Mar 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W6OGC

W6OGC Ham Member QRZ Page

How will you handle the "youth" part?

2. K1RDD

K1RDD Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm still 100 years younger than the nuns who taught me French.

3. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

And kinky! :eek:

4. VE7PJR

VE7PJR Ham Member QRZ Page

Sister Mary Elephant is not amused. (OK, '70s humour. Cheech & Chong y'all.)

Check out the "HamMorse" app. Free or for a pittance ($3 I think) you can get the "Pro" version with no ads. Aside from having pre-packaged QSOs and word groups, with your data or wireless connection you have access to a number of headline feeds. I usually crank it up in airports with free wi-fi, then swim with the rest of the fish while listening to the news.

Chuck VE7PJR

5. PU2NIT

PU2NIT Ham Member QRZ Page

A friend taught me the CW Alphabet something around 10 years ago, with this mnemonic phrases. Thing is I learned it to pass the test, but always wanted to be proficient at CW. My friend just wanted to pass his test.

Ten years later, I haven't taken the CW test. And haven't fully learned proper CW, either. Actually, I learned the alphabet, numbers, punctuation/marks with memory gimmicks which would lead me to count dits and dahs or associate the sound to a word. So, I did the following:

1. I went to LCWO website.
    2. Started learning words at 18 WPM, with a big spacing between them, like 10WPM spaces.
    3. Realized that this wouldn't lead me somewhere in a near future as well with copying CW faster. However, it has taught me to listen to the letters instead of a phrase that resembled to a letter (e.g.: Now I hear "dit dah dit dit" instead of "a LIGHT is lit"). This was not easy, but with patience, it started to flow naturally.
    4. I decided to take my speed down to an easier, but that I consider good for starters, speed. I do the phrase tasks at 12WPM and the callsign tests at 15WPM. Sometimes I write what I hear. Sometimes I don't. The interesting thing is that words start to make sense somehow, and I started to be able to have a clue on the word before it is finished.

I got back to studying CW on March, 6th. A week ago, after years away from morse code. Today, I'm able to copy an average of 10 seconds of code at 12WPM. This is not a lot, but it is something. I'm just sad that it is hard to find slower (10/12) CW ops on air. Last friday, I copied a full QSO, which was an achievement for me. My luck is that both ops repeated their information 3 times each. Long words and city names are still a challenge (like Maryland)

Don't give up! Just have patience, and with practice, perfect will come!

Best!

Felipe - PU2NIT

K1RDD and AA8TA like this.
  6. VE7JBX

VE7JBX Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll second the few posters here who mentioned the LCWO website, but I'll be a bit more specific - it has a mode called "morse machine" which you might find useful in this context. It sends one letter at a time at your choice of speed, and you react by typing in the character. If you get it correct, it gives you another letter, otherwise it repeats the letter. What's particularly useful is that it collects statistics and so if there's for instance a set of characters you tend to get wrong (say, B and 6 if you're me!) it will start to increase the frequency it sends you those problem characters. Helps you to focus on ear training just the ones you have problems with.

K1RDD likes this.
  7. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I just fooled with LCWO for the first time using a test/test login.

Pretty good! Only downside I see is that you must be able to touch type at a higher speed than you are practicing your CW.

But... on the other hand, if you are practicing copy by ear and not worried about scoring, it's fantastic!

8. K1RDD

K1RDD Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been using LCWO since it was first mentioned here. Not only has my copying gotten better in a few days, so has my typing ;)
    I've used a number of the options, including the lessons, morse machine and word training, starting at at 5wpm with 20 character speed. I've hit 10wpm more often than not. I will try call signs next, as my numbers, other than 73, are my most difficult.

9. NT4TC

NT4TC Ham Member QRZ Page

On the LCWO.net lessons, you don't have to 'type' as the characters are sounded. You can listen and write on a piece of paper. When it's done, THEN type what you wrote down and submit for grading.

Tom - N7TGC

10. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

In the old classic book, Cheaper by the Dozen, the father of this rather large family was an "efficiency expert" - one of the very first people to have that job title. In one chapter, he attempts to teach his entire family Morse code by using a procedure very similar to CodeQuick. The only two mnemonics I can remember are "DAN ger ous" and "CAREless Children". According to the author, several family members "learned" code at least well enough to get today's Novice Plus license.