Re-learning CW

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by K1RDD, Mar 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
  1. K1RDD

K1RDD Ham Member QRZ Page

When I first learned CW, I used Code Quick. Passed my Tech Plus in about 3 weeks after starting. The problem is, I've never been able to shake the "sound alikes". I could always send mid teens without much problem, but could never get past 10wpm copying.
    I've been away from the hobby for a few years, and since I always enjoyed CW, I thought I start to re-learn it "the right way". I started doing a few exercises, including W1AW and others. Even with the character speed up higher, I hit 5wpm immediately, but I still keep hearing the sound alikes, and anything faster, I was getting lost. Is there any way to unlearn this method and re-learn so I can build up speed?

2. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

What do you mean by "sound alikes"?

3. W6OGC

W6OGC Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you tried hypnosis?

I kid! It is harder to unlearn bad habits than to replace them with good ones. But now you are faced with doing just that. Get your receiver warmed up and start copying!

My brother, one of the most accomplished CW ops I have seen, says that CW is like a language. You have a vocabulary of words that you recognize as words not letter by letter. CQ is a good example. You hear that so often you just understand it without necessarily thinking "C" "Q", let alone "- . - . - - . -, "

There is a blogger AA4OO who sometimes participates here, who put this on his website. Get used to common words. http://www.hamradioqrp.com/2016/11/get-used-to-common-stuff.html. This seems to me to be a worthwhile approach, after one has the basic letters, numbers etc. down.

K1RDD likes this.
  4. K1RDD

K1RDD Ham Member QRZ Page

Each letter had a sound alike that followed the cadence of the dits and dahs. For instance, P would be "did POP POP it", K would be KAN ga ROO. Worked great for slow copy. Bogs down at higher speeds because you're doing three steps (code, sound, letter) instead of just code, letter.

5. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Ohhhh, I see. Is that what "Code Quick" taught? What were they thinking? [edit: just looked at the code quick website and I see what they were thinking now... so, rhetorical question]

I can't imagine hearing " dah dah di dah " and having to think PAY DAY TO DAY and then relating that to the letter Q ... at anything more than a few WPM.

I'm sorry but I don't have any suggestions other than to keep trying.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    K6FNI likes this.
  6. WR3V

WR3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Try www.lcwo.net It's free and it worked for me. I learned on Code Quick casettes, and the sound alikes still pop into my feeble mind 25 years later. The mascot logo was a worm or something. I can still hear that guys voice. Got me past my 20wpm test, though. Thanks for the memories.

Rich
    WR3V

KB2SMS and K1RDD like this.
  7. K6FNI

K6FNI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yup, that's stupid beyond belief.

Robert, K6FNI

NK2U and W7UUU like this.
  8. WR3V

WR3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Some of them made sense, for L 'a LIGHT is lit'. Most of them were kind of related to the letter.

9. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I just read where they have changed that one to "QUEEN QUEEN the QUEEN!"

Still...

10. WR3V

WR3V Ham Member QRZ Page

F 'did i FAIL it' D 'DOG did it' Help me Lord, I'm having flashbacks.

WR2E likes this.