Re-Inforced roof for HF antenna mounting

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by WL7PM, Jul 21, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
  1. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Preparing to mount Hustler 75 meter antenna on cab of Chevy truck.
    Looking for ideas/practices or contraindications for the reinforcing of light-gauge sheet metal roof.
    Should I use galvanized sheet steel, or 1/4" UHMW ?
    How big a plate should I use to prevent stress fractures ?

Anybody have close up pics, or details of good strong roof mounted antenna bases ?

Thanks.
    WL7PM

2. WD5GWY

WD5GWY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Mounting a 75 meter antenna securely to your pickup's roof is going to be quite a challenge. Plus, you wil have real problems with height everywhere you go.
    I would suggest an alternative of mounting inside the bed. I mounted a Tarheel 200A inside the left rear corner of a 1997 Dodge 2500. With a reasonably sized whip, it worked fine on 80 meters. But, even then, I had to really watch where I went. Without the whip and fully retracted, I could barely fit into most parking garages.
    James
    WD5GWY

KC7JNJ likes this.
  3. AA5BK

AA5BK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

4. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

No kidding! Only takes one time at a gas station to remind you of that... :D

KC7JNJ and WD5GWY like this.
  5. AG5CK

AG5CK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

https://breedlovemounts.com/store/ols/categories/puck-mounts

I had one of these mounts on the roof of a 2002 Dodge truck. The antenna took some hard enough hits that I could hear the roof flexing. Many times I expected to get out and see a big tear or buckle in the roof, but it never happened.

The only thing I might do differently is round off the corners of the backing plate. If the antenna is hit at the right angle that sharp edge may be more likely to damage the roof.

6. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

If your going to do something like that put a head ache rack at the front of your truck bed and mount there. Or a metal tool box in the bed that is grounded to the truck and mount there.