ad: Winterfest-1

Re: Freedom means Freebanding

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by n0phw, Dec 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. n0phw

n0phw QRZ Member QRZ Page

Ok, here is a rational reply. Rather than waste our energies ranting about freebanders why don't we put that much more effort into taking care of our own problems? For instance, let's work on getting rid of bootleggers on 10 and 12 meters. We all know about truckstops selling 10 meter radios that can be modified for 11 meters. Are these radios type accepted on 10 meters? And, if they are, would each individual unit meet tolerances? No truck stop manager has time to deal with several trouble making hams threatening to have his inventory of radios federally inspected. Just an idea.
    Secondly, how about if we actually police ourselves as we are supposed to so Mr. Hollingsworth can go back to more important governmental duties. I hear more filth and rudeness on 75 meters at any time of the night than I've ever heard on freeband. When I was first exposed to ham radio in the 1970's such behavior was untolerated. I can't even turn my HF receiver on when my parents come to visit me for fear of hearing a ham exclaim "Is that a vanity call?... Oh, then get the f*ck outta here".
    The original post is partially correct; freebanding is here to stay. Freebanders won't go away regardless of how much we are bigoted against them. Like it or not, we've got more important issues to address than some scofflaws illegally transmitting on frequencies WE are not licensed to use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.