Re: clarification

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K9STH, Jan 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

One thing to think about is that amateur radio is not as "wide spread" in many countries. A significant number of persons who hold licenses in other countries often represent a higher socio-economic profile than the average US amateur.

There are exceptions, like in the former Soviet Union and Japan. However, back in the days of the "cold war", the Soviet government furnished printed QSL cards to the vast majority of the amateurs which were, generally, of a very good quality. However, they were basically propaganda. Back then, all QSL cards had to go via "Box 88, Moscow" no matter where in the Soviet Union that they were headed.

The Japanese used to, and probably still have, a large percentage of very nice QSL cards (I haven't worked many contests lately with the "JA" runs!). However, the vast majority of these come from those stations who run very little power and do not work much outside of Japan. Those are the same stations that will send you 3 cards when you work them: One on the day of the QSO, one about a week later just in case you don't get the first one, and the third thanking you when you send a QSL in return. They think that having a very good looking QSL increases their chance of getting one in return since, in reality, they work very few stations other than among themselves.

The "higher powered" stations in Japan seem to use the "general, run of the mill" type QSL cards.

Looking over the QSL cards that I have acquired in almost 43 years of operation, I find only a relatively small number of photo type QSL cards from DX as well as stateside. The "creativity" of the cards vary all over the place and the DX doesn't have an edge on that as well.

Frankly, the purpose of a QSL is to confirm that a two-way contact actually took place between the stations. The physical "beauty" of the card is at the discretion of the sender.

Glen, K9STH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.