ad: KA7UNWetsy-1

RCA WR-50B

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by N1OOQ, Oct 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Bought a toy at NEARfest...

IMG0091A.jpg

Yup, it's a boatanchor... cool vernier drive and air variable cap (between the tubes in the crappy photo)

IMG0097A.jpg

The audio ranges clip, just the negative peaks at the low end, both at the high end...

IMG0090B.jpg
    IMG0092A.jpg

RF output looks ok... this is about 35 MHz. Kind of low output... about 0.5v pk-pk max. into a 10x scope probe.

IMG0095A.jpg

Someone did the "recap" thing already. All of the paper caps are now film. Other than that, seems to be all original. Needs a new line cord - cracks in the insulation. Paper-core coils, beeswax, a couple of old 2N transistors, so I guess it's a hybrid.

IMG0099A.jpg

2. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

Its a good little sig gen. Plus you can do some sweeping with it. Not lab gear by any stretch but it does well. I have two of them!

3. N1OOQ

Sort of an adventure into vacuum tube world for me. I'm a transistor guy, but I have been keeping an eye out for older test equipment. I saw some broken, outrageously priced newer stuff at the flea. I'm sure I can fix this generator, that other stuff... Who knows?

4. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

WR-50B was offered as a kit or factory wired /assembled back in the day.
    I have the complete manuals for both versions.

5. N1OOQ

Hmpf... an interesting thing about this... I downloaded manuals from two different sources, and neither one shows any transistors. I did see some posts in other forums in which other owners of these generators found the transistors in them.