RCA BTA 250K AM Broadcast TX Rochester NY AWA

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by NW2K, Jun 16, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I also have a spare which came from W9XRT who didn't have a reactor for it so he sold it to me last year for $100. I hope I don't have to use it, but it's nice to have one. Is 1690 the number for the transformer or the reactor? I can't remember. The RCA reactor I use is a XT something, 40 or 45 Hy. Don't hold me to this but I have some idea from somewhere that both are rated for either 350 ma. or 500. RCA also used that transformer in a 5 KW rig. The rig had a 250 watt driver and the transformer was on that, I think in case the station either went to 250 at night, or as an aux in case the PA crapped out.

2. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

depends on the unit of measurement.

W2VW likes this.
  3. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Get a forklift

4. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

XT-1690 is the transformer. The reactor is rated at 350 mA, about 40 Hy IIRC. I traded mine off for the BL-40 audio limiter; didn't need it since I was already using the UTC 50 Hy 500 mA reactor. Don't recall the part number for the reactor.

5. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Right. Instead of floundering along with my memory I got up and got out my transmitter notebook and found what I'd written about the iron. The reactor is the XT-2282. 45 Hy., 120 ohms, 2.5 KV, 350 ma. Everything you posted about the transformer is correct. The current rating is unknown. I ass-u-med that it was also 350 ma., but the two were not really paired by RCA I think. The just look like they go together. If the reactor were made for medium wave broadcast, it would have likely been used in 250 and 500 watt rigs. I still can't get over the one Gates used in their 1T and 1Gs.

6. WB2GCR

WB2GCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyone know who bought it for 100 bucks?