Raytheon Tubes

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by KF5DDW, Sep 24, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry. Mis-spoke. Harrison NJ just on the east side of the Hudson.
    Military radio production came from Camden.

2. KF5DDW

KF5DDW Ham Member QRZ Page

I received my used tubes and installed. I don't have a variac so I put a 3 amp slow blow fuse instead of the 5 amp that it calls for just in case there were issues. The radio fired right up and all tubes lit. However, the receive is low, very low. So my next trick , Rocky is.....

KA9JLM likes this.
  3. WA1GXC

FB. The good news is that the TR- series is easy to align without complex gear or procedures.

Quick tips:

For full TX power, align receiver first. Most critical adjustments are slugs above chassis, do those and see if you can get away with it. TX will not put-out
    unless RX in alignment. Happy RX = happy TX.

Because of signal-mixing path, align and get RX going on 20m and 80m first. Then go to 40m, which adds another signal to injection mix.

Follow manual carefully, missing nothing. It's not cryptic. 6JB6 must be installed for tube heater-string to function. Remove plate B+ and screen +voltage from
    P.A. section at the feed-thru terminals below the P.A. cage as instructed. Then align receiver.

Do a medical check-up on 6JB6 final stage. (Maybe a post-mortem) Cathode resistors and screen resistors will have drifted high due to vicious heat and probably
    abuse. You'll see cathode to maybe 18 ohm. Above that, remove & replace. Screen resistors critical. 6JB6 is hi-perveance beam-power tube, meaning it generates
    lots of power at relatively low plate voltage. Screen voltage at circuit-design value is essential to full output. Your 68 ohm resistors might be 30% high. Bad.

Good luck.

4. KF5DDW

I have the instruction manual that I downloaded from internet. It has a lot of adjustment procedures for alignment. Is there a service manual available with additional indepth guidance, if so I haven't found it.

5. WA1GXC

No, your standard operator's manual is the manual in-full. ' Theory ' and 'Service' section is all you need. VTVM and away you go.

I'm not real conversant with a lot of other manufacturers' design philosophy. But note well that the TR-'s are real transceivers, in the
    sense that circuitry is truly enlisted from RX to TX mode-- Do an overall mental familiarity of what functions come from where- there is an
    excellent chart that denotes what vacuum tube accomplishes specific function in TX/RX. This is very helpful in isolating weaknesses. I may be
    wrong, but I think in some manufacturers' gear the clever circuitry is not so "borrowed" from receive to transmit. The receiver if operating
    properly is very 'hot' and sensitive--when you have that performance achieved, you've done 75% of the transmitter preparation.

Many prior discussions on this BoatAnchor forum ref. TR-4 series. Do some review for topics in the "search" box, upper-right.

Also, check out on InterWeb "WB4HFN Drake", "VE3EFJ Drake' Lots of terrific expert notes.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
  6. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think you mean the west side of the Hudson.

No part of NJ is on the east side of the Hudson.

7. WA1GXC

Yes. Startled out of near-sleep state the evening of writing that note when my brain somehow reflected upon its internal error-message.
    That's why we don't work on high voltage when fatigued.

I used to take AMTRAK and NJT thru the Hudson tunnels to Newark several months per year. I traveled soon after
    Hurricane Sandy had shut-down all rail service and the flood waters were subsiding. The right-of-way runs about 1/4
    mile north of what was then a trucking depot. The Harrison NJT station and environs were completely flooded even a week
    after the event. I was always trying to catch a glimpse of a faded painted sign, in the old style, on the brick of those long rows of buildings,
    trying to figure out if it was the old RCA vacuum tube facility. Harrison's not very big. Only a guess, but that long 3- or 4-story building
    complex in my mind was it. Probably not true, but satisfying.

I did look at a 1939 RCA 807 box, the colorful world-map style. Shows Camden. Curious when commercial production went to Harrison;
    suppose after the War.

8. WB2GCR

WB2GCR Ham Member QRZ Page

[QUOTE="WA1GXC, post: 5619077, member: 794970"<snip>
    I used to take AMTRAK and NJT thru the Hudson tunnels to Newark several months per year. I traveled soon after
    Hurricane Sandy had shut-down all rail service and the flood waters were subsiding. The right-of-way runs about 1/4
    mile north of what was then a trucking depot. The Harrison NJT station and environs were completely flooded even a week
    after the event. I was always trying to catch a glimpse of a faded painted sign, in the old style, on the brick of those long rows of buildings,
    trying to figure out if it was the old RCA vacuum tube facility. Harrison's not very big. Only a guess, but that long 3- or 4-story building
    complex in my mind was it. Probably not true, but satisfying.

I did look at a 1939 RCA 807 box, the colorful world-map style. Shows Camden. Curious when commercial production went to Harrison;
    suppose after the War.
    73[/QUOTE]

In the 50's and early 60's my father was a QC engineer and then manager for RCA both in Harrison and Sommerville.
    He steadfastly refused to bring any tubes home. I was getting interested in ham radio when I was 12-13yo and asked.
    Feared that someone could use it as an excuse to fire him, I surmised. Could have had anything he wanted... ha! Just buy them
    he said. Of course, he wouldn't, and I had no money... kid and all.

I did visit one RCA plant as a little kid... they let me walk around. All I recall is the one floor where they were doing
    Germanium diodes, I guess packaging, it was not a production area. And, I recall picking up a ton of them from the
    floor - which they said was ok, since once they were on the floor, they were thrown out... very old wood floor factory buildings,
    the opposite of modern.

Where they had the tube production, I didn't know, still don't, and reflecting back I wish I had been a bit older
    as at that time I was probably maybe 8 years old... maybe.

_-_-

WA1GXC likes this.
  9. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

Receiving tubes have effective getters but you need to run them with filament voltage to get rid of the gas that seeps into the tubes over time. I've heard radios "come to life" just by sitting there after being powered up for the first time in years.

10. KF5DDW

Now I just need to find a reasonably priced, or at least one within my limited budget, vtvm. The hunt is on.