Raytheon RA-1000 A Monster of an AM Transmitter

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by AC0OB, Aug 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. W7TFO

W7TFO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I used to belong to one of those...

73DG

2. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Check your tire pressure before you roll out with it.

3. W7TFO

The only way I can use it will be for parts...the cabinet will go to recycling, hopefully there in Mn.

73DG

4. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah, much more manageable. We dismantled an RA-1000 near the loading dock of WJRO in Glen Burnie, Maryland about 25 years ago, where it had been shoved out the back door. Left the cabinet there after we got the iron, tank components, tubes, most of the sub-chassis. All of it went to good homes, not including mine. I had the diminutive GE BT-20A at the time, soon to be replaced by my first 300-G.

As it happened, WJRO went through a series of owners, and years later we were BACK at the same station, now WFBR, loading up an RCA "shutter door" BTA-1M. A guy in Pennsylvania came down in a box truck with some friends and retrieved it. I was a facilitator in the rescue.

http://amfone.net/bta1m.html

W2VW and N2EY like this.
  5. WZ5Q

WZ5Q Ham Member QRZ Page

The BTA-1M with the shutter doors is a beautiful transmitter. I have one set up for 160m and will be back on the air as soon as I finish building the new shack... one of these days.

13-BTA-1M.jpg
    15-BTA-1M.jpg

KD0DQZ and WA3VJB like this.
  6. W7TFO

Indeed, that is a pretty TX. Easy to work on, too. Not like a 20V2.

I'm scheduled to pull that filthy BTA-5T out on the 8th. That will be the usual fun ride, the door is now narrower than the cabinet...

73DG

7. KC4MOP

KC4MOP Ham Member QRZ Page

I know that I'm scrapping an old thread, but it seems that Raytheon went out of their way to make sure that you had real audio impressed on the carrier. Replaced mod iron would make me back away. I had a Collins 20V with not-original mod iron and I was not happy with the audio performance of that rig. Really strained to make 100% mod.

Fred

N6YW likes this.
  8. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

The replacement mod iron worked fine and it was last used as a training transmitter in Communication Electronics for the students at a local college.

The empty cabinet will be used as a lighted curio cabinet by the owner's wife.

Phil

9. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

You're one state too far North. o_O

Phil

10. W7TFO

From here it all looks the same...kinda like the moon. :-}

73DG