ad: M2Ant-1

Raytheon RA-1000 A Monster of an AM Transmitter

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation - AM Fans' started by AC0OB, Aug 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
  1. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

I really like the shelf-style of construction. Almost modular, you can detach the wiring harness, unbolt the sub-chassis from the inside wall, and conduct repairs/component replacement on the workbench as needed for easier logistics.

Attached Files:

AC0OB likes this.
  2. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

And the other neat thing about the Raytheon is heat dissipation. The openess of the whole structure lends itself to fast heat energy removal since the modulator section is on one side and the RF on the other. I.e., no hot spots.

Phil

3. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

That chassis under the 845 driver module shown in Paul's photo is the power supply for the 6j5s and 6j7s, plus the 845 filament transformer. There's a third one not shown, the bias supply for the 833As.

I mounted the whole shebang in my BC1T to replace that crappy 807 cathode follower audio board. Mine didn't have a dummy load, so the whole left-hand side of the cabinet was available, and the Raytheon modules fit perfectly with no room to spare.

I can get plenty of B+ from the Gates to run the 6j5s and 6j7s, so I rebuilt that power supply to deliver +1450v @ 150 mA for the 845 plates. The modified power supply module is at the bottom. Converted to solid state rectifiers throughout the transmitter.

RA1000 audio driver2.JPG

WA3VJB and WZ5Q like this.