ad: portazero-1

Raytheon RA-1000 A Monster of an AM Transmitter

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by AC0OB, Aug 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

Raytheon RA-1000 1kW Transmitter for Sale

Raytheon RA -1000 1kW Unconverted.

Here’s your chance to own the Monter of AM rigs. Has “walk-in” cabinet.

2 - 833 Finals by 2 – 833 Modulators.

Original Tubes and Power Transformers intact. Modulation Transformer replaced.

Currently in Storage in Basement.

Must be picked up in Creston, Iowa (South West Iowa).

See PDf for details.

External and Internal Cabinet Pictures below.

Phil

Attached Files:

AF6LJ and (deleted member) like this.
  2. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

The RA-1000 is going for $100 less than the BC1-T. The RA-1000 is by far the better deal. An RA-1000 with all parts intact would be worth at least three BC1-Ts.

I assume the same guy is selling them both.

WA3VJB likes this.
  3. W7TFO

W7TFO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Rare in 1kW AM rigs in that it is push-pull all the way thru, audio & RF.

73DG

AF6LJ likes this.
  4. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

And loads of overkill. For example, the speech amplifier, which uses a pair of triode-connected 6J7s feeding a pair of 6J5s r-c coupled to the 845 grids and pulling no more than about 30 mA (at around 300 volts), uses a 200 mA power supply with a hefty dedicated power transformer, a 5U4G rectifier and a pair of 200 mA filter chokes. That power supply module alone must weigh 40 lbs. or more.

It uses a pair of 813s to drive the push-pull 833As; the BC1-T uses a measly pair of 807s running at the brink of melt-down to drive its pair of 833s.

N2EY and WA3VJB like this.
  5. W7TFO

W7TFO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If only it were closer to 85139...but that isn't a problem now. Ha!

73DG

N6YW likes this.
  6. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

The same person is selling all three transmittters and lives 4 hours away. I went out Thursday to his house and inventoried these puppies. Can you say drooling when I saw these?:eek:

He is a friend of a Ham friend of mine, which is why I am trying to help him sell these transmitters.

I only wish I lived further out and had a separate, external ham shack large enough to hold all three, but I don't.

If'n I had that storage, the Raytheon would be the first to be converted.

Phil

WA3VJB and N6YW like this.
  7. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Same here. I have a BC1G, a relatively small lightweight rig in my garage waiting for me to figure out how to get into my basement. we're going to have to cut the cabinet around the sides after everything is taken out, move each half into the basement and bolt back together. But for the RA1K, I'd need a walkout high ceiling basement or separate shack out building. No room for any of that here. I'm trying to think of someone around here who might take it and run it and not just pull out the parts. Maybe K7YOO or K0SF.

8. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

How would you get the power down to 1500 watts pep? wink, wink,....

9. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't talk as loud.

AG5CK, K9ASE and AC0OB like this.
  10. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Awesome transmitter. I think only the GE XT-1 is in the same class. There is also a formidable Raytheon RA-250 to watch out for.