Rating C4FM on 10 Meters

Discussion in 'Digital Radio, DMR, Fusion, Wires, DSTAR' started by KF0UV, Aug 9, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KF0UV

KF0UV Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm curious about the Yaesu FT-991(A). If you have one of these rigs, and have tried 10 Meter C4FM simplex, is the performance any better than standard FM simplex? Since there is only one transceiver model that can do C4FM on HF, and propagation being what it is these days, would it be fair to say that it's pretty hard to find other users on the air? And lastly, if you already have rigs for VHF/UHF C4FM, and for HF, would you buy an FT-991(A) solely for its ability to do C4FM on 10 Meters?
    Thanks in advance for your responses.

Marshall, kf0uv

2. KM6CND

KM6CND Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a 991. I'll give it a try later today.

3. W4WCB

W4WCB Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps post on the "QSO Scheduling" form also. Might help to drum up others that would like to try that mode out on 10m.

4. KY5U

KY5U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Is C4FM a radio controlled explosive?

G0CIQ, UT7UX, N1MJS and 4 others like this.
  5. K0RGR

K0RGR Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know if anything in the rules would apply here. I believe C4FM is 12.5 kHz wide. I would expect that you'd want to be above 29 MHz, where wide FM is allowed. People do Dstar on HF, but Dstar is 6.25 kHz wide, the width of an AM signal.

G0CIQ, M0DPX and W4NNF like this.
  6. KF0UV

You're right - above 29 MHz is where it should be. The exact frequency, or frequencies, to use has been a subject of discussion.

PY2RAF likes this.
  7. W8LPN

W8LPN Ham Member QRZ Page

I would be interested in trying this out as well.

8. KM6CND

KM6CND Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm in So Cal, DM13. I'm in.

9. W8LPN

W8LPN Ham Member QRZ Page

WV EN90

10. KF0UV

Since I don't have a 991, at least at this time, and am seeking the experiences and advice of those who do, I leave it to those who want to try this out to arrange any schedules among yourselves. I appreciate the interest shown by those who have responded.