ad: elecraft

Raspi 4 software for APRS?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Software' started by WB0RUR, Oct 15, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. WB0RUR

WB0RUR Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm looking for APRS software that will run on a Raspberry Pi 4. I've been using an old Windows XP machine and want to retire it. I'd like to have software that has a nice map interface as I leave it up on display on a monitor in the shack. I currently only beacon weather data info from my home location (so no GPS functionality needed). I also have a TNC, radio interface cables and the VHF radio. The TNC connects to my XP with a USB. Not really looking for a "sound card" solution since I've already got the other equipment. Thanks for any suggestions! 73, Gary

2. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Xastir. Great Linux program. I've run it many times over the years. Much easier to start up these days. Maps were a problem a few years ago. Now it'll download what you want almost automatically.

Google it. First one that show up under DuckDuckgo.com :

https://m0hpj.wordpress.com/2012/11/16/aprs-on-raspberry-pi-with-xastir/

Edit: Easy assuming you're familiar with Linux, USB port permissions, and take some time familiarizing yourself with the menus under the tool bar of Xastir setting up interfaces...

KF5RRF and N4OKN like this.
  3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't forget the Big Heatsink and fan.

Do not abuse, Install a Fuse.

4. WB0RUR

Thanks have it up and running. Scratching my head though over adding weather data from my weather station. Any thoughts on that? I'm using a Davis Vantage Vue that is generating a wxnow.txt file on the same Pi.

5. W4EAE

W4EAE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I know you already have a hardware TNC, but you can do a lot more with a software TNC today than you could with hardware a couple of decades ago. Check out DIREWOLF. It really is the modern standard for AX.25.

KF5RRF likes this.
  6. W5UAA

I've never hooked a weather station to Xastir. If you have a program up and running creating wxnow.txt files, all I can assume is that program talking to your weather station and creating that text file is preventing Xastir from opening that same interface (if you've tried to create that interface.)

If you want your weather station to talk to Xastir, first thing I'd do is kill your weather station process (or just don't start it up, or just disable it (#systemctl disable 'program name') and reboot... if it starts automatically after booting) and then try creating that Xastir weather interface.

But again, I'm not familiar with creating a wx station interface on Xastir. All I can assume is there are standards in wx station data (specially formatted frames?) and if you can find a reference to what your weather station produces and find something to click on when creating that interface in Xastir that matches that standard, well... it should work if you match baud rate, start bit, stop bit(s) and parity.

It might be a shared memory location also. I don't know.

Sorry, wish I could be more help.

@W4EAE , I've always had disastrous results when trying to start up DireWolf...

7. W5UAA

My edit just timed out...

I just loaded up Xastir on Fedora 32 and am looking at the "Interface Control", "Add", "Serial WX", "Add", "Configure WX Port" screen right now.

The options are rather limited.

"Weather Station device" is probably the port you want to get data from. If it's a USB port, you can probably spot it with "# dmesg | grep usb" (weather station must be connected and live for this to work) It'll be "/dev/something" Remember, you may have to add your user name to the dial out group (or what ever group that port is a member of) to gain permission. If you don't know how to do that, ask me.

If it's a USB port, the port settings don't really matter. A USB frame operates at its own speed. Unless there's a "bits per second" specified on your weather station, it wouldn't hurt to match it.

Under "Data Type", there's an "Auto Detect", "Binary Type" and "ASCII Type" -- try each one, one of them may work.

Hope this helps a bit.

Edit: Since your weather station is producing text files, it might be the "ASCII Type" that'll work.

8. W4EAE

W4EAE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I would be curious as to what your issues were. I have run it on Raspbian, Debian, and Ubuntu with no problems. I even have one system running two separate active instances on the same OS.

KF5RRF likes this.
  9. W5UAA

It's been a while but if memory serves me correct, it was something having to do with an audio conflicts. Can't have speakers or anything else plugged in that uses audio running at the same time. Plus, with a high end GPU, which audio driver (of several) to use was an issue also. I just still prefer hardware modems; then there's no audio issues in the computer--simpler by one view, more complex by another view. Yin vs Yang, half-empty vs half full, Ginger vs Mary Ann--what ever works.

Edit: Using Fedora, which is a different branch than Raspbian, Debian and Ubuntu.

10. WB0RUR

Thank you for the suggestion. I assume that would require a Raspberry Pi sound card and some type of interface to PTT my radio, right?